Friday, June 22, 2012

The Sounds of Silence...

Our Daily Bread
If you have been around me for more than a few seconds, you know that I can be a talker.  I can also be silent, but that is much less often!  ha!  A joke with a close friend says that I didn't understand the words to the song "The Sounds of Silence" until I had anesthesia for the first time!  I was quiet!

The devotional was interesting.  It talked about when we shouldn't talk about God. I learned a simple lesson many, many years ago when clown ministries were popular (clowns are sort of scary critters nowadays!).  The cardinal rule was to never talk about God or the Bible when in clown costume!  What are some other rules I learned?  We should not talk about God to others when we aren't in right fellowship.  We could do more damage than good.  Recently, I also learned that I should not talk about God during times you aren't feeling well or feeling like yourself.  An otherwise loving and caring person can come across the wrong way when we speak at the wrong times.  As our example, Jesus, did, there are times when silence is the right way to speak for God!

Lord, please help us know when to speak for you and when not to speak...

Foodie Friday
I have been searching for salad recipes for this weekend.  I have my church dinner group on Sunday night.  I narrowed it down to a few choices:  a "normal" salad, the artichoke salad I usually make once per year, or the salad below that is very different.  I am leaning towards different, though the other two are much easier.  Here is the Asparagus and Tomato Salad recipe I am looking at:

Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta
Recipe from Time to Grill by Jamie Purviance/Sunset, 2011.
Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta

Summer is here: time to grill. Freshen grilling up with an amazing grilled salad.

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds asparagus
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3 slices country-style white bread cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Chopped fresh chives

VINAIGRETTE:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F) and preheat the grill pan.
In a small bowl whisk the mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle and whisk in the oil until it is emulsified.
Remove and discard the tough bottom of each asparagus spear by grasping at each end and bending it gently until it snaps at its natural point of tenderness, usually about two-thirds of the way down the spear.
Spread the asparagus on a large plate. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and turn the spears until they are evenly coated. In a medium bowl toss the tomatoes and bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of 
the vinaigrette.
Brush the cooking grates clean. Spread the tomatoes and bread cubes in a single layer on the grill pan and lay the asparagus on the cooking grate. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the asparagus is tender, the tomatoes begin to soften, and the bread cubes are toasted, turning often. The asparagus will take 6 to 8 minutes and the tomatoes and bread cubes will take 2 to 4 minutes.
Arrange the asparagus on a platter and top with the tomatoes, croutons, feta, and chives. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.


******************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment