Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weak is... good?

Our Daily Bread
As I have been blogging about on Wednesdays for a few weeks, I have been working out a lot the past several months.  I am free from the physical activity restrictions I had for several years due to health reasons.  I feel stronger after each workout, though I sometimes feel weak right afterwards from being tired!  Strength is good, right?

When it comes to life, the Bible tells us that it is best to not rely on our own strength.  We are to trust in God instead of our own strength.  I talked about this with a seminary professor many years ago.  His wife and I didn't understand trusting God every moment.  He looked at us and said "Oh, yes, trust God for every breath!"  Wow!  Have you ever tried that?  "God I am trusting you for this breath.  God, I am trusting you for this breath " (repeat thousands of times per day!)  While we may not consciously trust God for each breath, the concept of putting all of our being in his loving hands is the point!

The devotional also talked about Paul's thorn in the flesh.  I learned more about this concept the past few years.  There is a situation in my life that I need to be constantly vigilant to not let my weakness affect my actions.  Constantly...  Like Paul (and I am not claiming to be a modern day Paul!), I have prayed for God to remove this from me.  God is helping me work through it so I can learn to trust him with every thought and for every breath.  We are back to the every breath thing!

Lord, you are the Lord of all, our strength and our weaknesses.  Please help us trust you for everything.

Teaching Tuesday
Secret Number 4
Secret number four from The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People is this:
Your goals should be aligned with one another.

Hmmm.  This sounds like something from my performance plan at work!  What does it mean?  The book uses the example of the four tires on your car.  They must all be aligned the same way so they work together to get you where you want to go.  Life goals are like that.  For example, learning to eat like the guy on Man vs Food and wanting to lose 50 pounds would probably be conflicting goals!  That guy is pretty cute, but I don't want to eat like him!

Take a look at your goals.  Well, first, do you have life goals?  What are they?  Do they align with each other?

While writing this, I realized that two of my goals did not align.  Change is a-comin'!

****************************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you (in your weakness) and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment