Saturday, June 16, 2012

U r a BCOG

Happy Pride Holiday, Columbus, Ohio!

Our Daily Bread
I "came out" to my family when I was about 31 or so.  Believe it or not, this boisterous, extroverted bear had a little trouble telling them.  I practiced on a few close friends first.  They were all very loving and accepting.  When I told my beloved Grandmother about my sexual orientation, she was also loving and accepting, however, she said "we don't have to tell anyone about this..."  I replied "Well, I was brought up to be proud of who I am.  I don't think I can do that!"  She looked at me and shook her head knowing that she was the one who taught me to be proud of who I am!  ha!

That was a long lead into another amazing devotional.  I had a close friend that needed a lot of encouragement.  My two favorite phrases to text him were "u r a BCOG" (beloved child of God) and "u r FAWM"  (fearfully and wonderfully made).  These phrases had special meaning to us and our friendship as we talked and prayed.  God was working in our lives as we got to know each other.

The FAWM phrase comes from Psalms 139:14.  This verse means so much to me.  I will write more about it below.  Like any psalm, read the entire psalm out loud to get its full meaning.  As another friend of mine says occasionally "now believe it!".  Amen!

Lord, thank you for making me the way you did.  

Simply Saturday
Pride
I will make this brief. I got a little carried away last Saturday!  This will not be a gay pride infused rant or well-worded soliloquy.  It is from my heart.

I was born to the daughter of a West Virginia hillbilly family in a small town in northern Ohio.  My biological father left town after he found out I was on the way.  I never knew him.  Despite the obvious challenges of an unmarried woman having a child out of wedlock in the late 50's, my mother worked as hard as she could to raise me on her own.  Instead of having just one dad like the rest of the kids, I had my grandfather and my uncles.  How lucky was I?  I still have a love for cars to this day that I got from my uncles!

That is when the training started -- be proud of who you are.  As bad as things are today with "pigeon-holing" people, it was much worse back then.  I was reminded each time a challenge arose of who I was -- a beloved child of my mother and grandparents.  That transitioned over to being a beloved child of God when I was eight (I wrote about that last week).

I won't continue with my life story.  Some of you have known me through much of it.  Here is what I want to say on this Pride Holiday, regardless of who you are -- listen carefully.  YOU, yes, I say, YOU are a beloved child of God.  YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made.  As my friend said to me "NOW BELIEVE IT!"



I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, 
    I know that full well. Psalm 139:14



************************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

You are a beloved child of God!  You are fearfully and wonderfully made.  Now believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment