Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fight for it

Fight for it

There was a Beastie Boys song called You gotta fight for your right to party. We are taught that fighting should be a last resort. We are taught that we should fight for what we believe in and for those we love. What is this "fighting" that we are supposed to do?

First, I don't think fighting for your right to party should be a priority!  LOL I guess I am just old and worn out and not into partying as much as I was at one time in my life. 

The fight I am talking about is the "good fight" that Paul talks about in 1 Timothy 6:12  New International Version (NIV):

12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

That sounds so noble.  So spiritual! ;-)  Yes, it is supposed to be. So let's take this a little further. What is the "good fight of faith"? There are passages that talk about putting on the full armor of God so we can reject the advances of evil in our lives and in the world. There are passages that talk about us being soldiers of God. I don't know about you, but the whole military thing escapes me most of the time! 

So here is what I came up with for my life. Maybe you can use some of these things as well.  In my humble opinion, the good fight is to resist evil. It is to do good. It is to learn to recognize the difference! It is to make a concerted effort to follow God, not just go through the motions. It is easy to just go through the motions, right? We can sing Onward Christian Soldiers and just pretend it is just another WWII movie! Yikes.  

Second, is something that was brought to mind after tearing up while reading a friend's posts on Facebook. It wasn't just one friend. Several friends have posts or sent me texts about how difficult their lives are. It sounds like they have given up any kind of fight. They sound like they are just going through the motions of their lives.

I find this in myself as well when it comes to health and weight loss. I realized that I was sort of, well, OK, I WAS judging them for not fighting harder for their lives.  When I looked in the mirror that day, I saw I was just going through the motions when it comes to taking care of myself. I am not fighting to lose the weight I need to lose and to get in better physical shape.  I yap about it and go through the motions.

Let's pray for each other that we will fight that spiritual fight and the every day fight that can wear us down so we can be the best we can be for our Heavenly Father. Whether we are fighting weight issues, depression, loss of job, whatever it is.  May the Lord be with us!

**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment