Saturday, June 27, 2015

Got Pride?

Got Pride?

What a Gay Pride month!!! 2015 will be remembered for many things, but I will remember it for the year that I, a gay man, can marry the man I love (when I find him).  I never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. Here are some notable quotes from yesterday:

“No longer may this liberty be denied,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the majority in the historic decision. “No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” Justice Kennedy said, adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”

*****
In dissent, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said the Constitution had nothing to say on the subject of same-sex marriage.

“If you are among the many Americans — of whatever sexual orientation — who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today’s decision,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote. “Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.”

*****
In remarks in the Rose Garden, President Obama welcomed the decision, saying it “affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts.”

“Today,” he said, “we can say, in no uncertain terms, that we have made our union a little more perfect.”

*****

So what does this mean to heterosexual marriages? There may be a little more competition for prime wedding ceremony sites. I  don't see many churches opening their doors to same-sex weddings any time soon, though I am very thankful the church I attend will gladly perform the ceremony now that it is legal in Ohio.  I am interested to see what the divorce rate will be for same-sex marriages. Many of the couples who married already had been together for a lot of years. The LGBT folks may inspire a "rehab" of marriage like we do for so many houses and neighborhoods!  LOL

So what does Pride Month mean to me? I have been marching for a long time now. It means the most to me to see newbies in their first parade. I had that experience last year. A new friend I met at the parade, a 21 year old recently out Lesbian, walked with me in the parade with the Battelle group. She got so excited at times seeing the love and support from the hundreds of thousands of people who lined the streets, she hugged me over and over. We both cried a little. It really does get better.

For me, I continue on with my struggle with my conservative religious friends, praying for them to open their hearts to the Holy Spirit. Praying for their attitudes to change from "tolerance" to "acceptance". They can't seem to understand that "loving the sinner" starts with judging sins first. That is not what Christ taught us to do. While I tire of these discussions and the way I get treated at times, I know this is why God made me gay. My stubbornness. My determination to not sit back. My drive for fairness and love. I wish I was better at it all.

For my straight friends who want to have a "Straight Pride" month. You really don't realize you have a Straight Pride month every day. You place pictures of your spouse and children on your desk at work. You put those cute little stick figures on the back window of your mini van. Did you know you can still be fired from your job for being an LGBT person in many states? You can represent your sexuality with pride every day with no fear of repercussions. We cannot.

This world has so many bigger problems that allowing gay folks to marry. Can we focus on those now?

For the record, I don't care if your business doesn't want to provide services for my same-sex wedding because of your deeply held religious beliefs. My deeply held religious beliefs prevent me from doing business with, well...., I don't want to judge. I will pray for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment