Friday, September 16, 2011

Armor bearer

Our Daily Bread
I am not usually a fan of military related analogies any where, but I sort of liked the one from today's devotional.  I liked it because it represented a brave person standing behind a brave leader.  The devotional went on to say that churches need brave followers of brave leaders in our churches today.  Very cool!

Our church is taking nominations for leadership roles right now.  I have been praying about whether or not to submit my name (to volunteer).  After reading the devotional, I decided to not submit my own name.  If someone else nominates me and I am selected, then I will be happy to serve.  If not, then I will be a brave armor bearer!

Lord, it takes all kinds of people for your kingdom on earth to work!

Foodie Friday
Here is the carrot salad recipe that I made for my dinner group last Sunday.  Everyone seemed to like it.


CARROT SALAD WITH ALMOND BUTTER DRESSING



Serves 4
Enjoy the vibrant, sweet flavor of this inventive take on the common version of carrot and raisin salad. Almond butter combines with lime juice, tamari and agave nectar to coat the carrots, red bell pepper, cilantro and raisins. A delightfully different side for any summer outing.

Ingredients
2 large carrots, peeled
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup creamy almond butter
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
1 teaspoon agave nectar
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Method
Using a box grater, shred carrots and place in a large bowl. Add bell pepper, cilantro and raisins. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter, lime juice, tamari, agave and pepper flakes. Add dressing to carrot mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes and serve chilled or at room temperature.

I used the matchstick carrots from the grocery instead of shredding my own.  I recommend marinating them longer than 30 minutes, but that is OK if you are short on time.


Other Stuff
I went to the gym after work last night.  I did a new exercise.  I didn't do very many reps, however, I apparently used some muscles I didn't know I had!  I was moving slow after dinner!  I went back to Oodles for supper and then worked on my D1 readings while waiting for Chancel Choir rehearsal to start.

Choir rehearsal was fun.  I liked sight reading.  ;-)

I have a lot of chores to do on Friday night so I can do other stuff all weekend.  Same with next week!

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment