Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lost in the meaningless details...

Our Daily Bread
As a project manager, it is easy to get lost in the meaningless details of a project.  Though they are not really meaningless, project managers must complete forms and reports about each project for their peers, the project team and management.  We are always on the lookout for the smallest detail that might affect our project.  I have seen it over and over!

As children of God, we can get caught up on things that are not really important.  We spend too much time and resources on these unimportant things instead of focusing our energy on the things that really matter.  As I read the devotional this morning, I wondered if I am wasting too many of my personal resources with my trips.  I am usually frugal on my trips, using coupons or hotel specials or free credits or frequent flier miles, etc, but this trip to Vegas is different.  I am eating at some four star restaurants.  I am seeing some expensive shows.  Are those things really necessary?  I struggle sometimes with questions like this.  Would my resources be better spent giving to the poor instead of enjoying fancy meals?  Helping the homeless instead of seeing bright lights and colorful costumes on stage?  I will think and pray more about that.

What about you?  Are there things that you need to review in your life?

Lord, I want to use the resources that you helped me earn with your strength in the best way.

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 21 is the psalm for this week.  It is a praise psalm for a period of good times when the king is trusting the Lord.  Things are good.  Enemies are vanquished.  God displays his glory through a trusting loving nation.


Psalm 21

    For the director of music. A psalm of David.
 1 The king rejoices in your strength, LORD.
   How great is his joy in the victories you give!

 2 You have granted him his heart’s desire
   and have not withheld the request of his lips.
3 You came to greet him with rich blessings
   and placed a crown of pure gold on his head.
4 He asked you for life, and you gave it to him—
   length of days, for ever and ever.
5 Through the victories you gave, his glory is great;
   you have bestowed on him splendor and majesty.
6 Surely you have granted him unending blessings
   and made him glad with the joy of your presence.
7 For the king trusts in the LORD;
   through the unfailing love of the Most High
   he will not be shaken.

 8 Your hand will lay hold on all your enemies;
   your right hand will seize your foes.
9 When you appear for battle,
   you will burn them up as in a blazing furnace.
The LORD will swallow them up in his wrath,
   and his fire will consume them.
10 You will destroy their descendants from the earth,
   their posterity from mankind.
11 Though they plot evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes, they cannot succeed.
12 You will make them turn their backs
   when you aim at them with drawn bow.

 13 Be exalted in your strength, LORD;
   we will sing and praise your might.


Other Stuff
I ran errands yesterday morning.  I got done fairly early so I rested in the afternoon and evening.  I watched the OSU football game.  I took a couple of short naps.  I figured out some issues around the house.  I finished the rest of my packing.  I had a couple of phone calls with close friends.  It was a good day.  I went to bed early because I was tired from the week.

I got some news about 10:30 last night that the church retreat I have been preparing for has been postponed until Spring.  I am a little disappointed by that.  I am not sure I will have time to participate on the team in the Spring.  Frankly, I am not sure I want to after some of the things that happened the past several weeks.  God used the preparation meetings to teach me several things.  I will write more about those when I get a chance.

I fly to Las Vegas tonight.  I will write some special postings this week.  I found a cool iPhone/iPad app that enables me to post entries easily to this site.  Woohoooo!  I have struggled with that on past trips, even on my iPad.

God is so good.  I praise him and thank him for his love and mercy.  I don't always understand the things that are going on around me, but I know I need to trust him.  He is giving me the desires of my heart as long as I stay out of the way!  hehehe  I learned more about how I can block good things from happening in my life the other day.  God is helping me get over that tendency.  He wants the best for me.  He wants me to live that way!

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment