Friday, April 5, 2013

reading glasses

Our Daily Bread
I remember the first time that I required reading glasses to read something.  It was trying to read the small print of a user agreement booklet that came with one of my electronic gadgets.  I was embarrassed by that then, but I didn't want to miss any details.  It is commonplace for me now!

I still require reading glasses today to read God's word.  I don't want to miss any details, though for different reasons.  When reading the gadget agreement, I wanted to learn what I shouldn't do if I didn't want to break the agreement and invalidate my warranty.  While reading God's Word, I want to learn what to do to better serve God!  Can you see the difference?  I know some folks seem to read God's Word the same wayi they read a warranty or a contract!

Lord, thank you for teaching us how to live.  Please help us focus on what we should be doing instead of what we can get away with!

Foodie Friday
I am hosting my church's Saturday dinner tomorrow night.  Similar to my dinner group, the host is responsible for making the entree.  Since it is April, I decided to call the entree "Spring Chicken".  ha!  I am such a silly bear sometimes!  Here is the recipe from allrecipes.com for Southern-style buttermilk friend chicken.  I plan to make it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  I plan to add a little garlic and some sliced onion to the marinade as well (something I saw in some other recipes).


Southern-Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
5 cups vegetable oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:
1. Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.
2. When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in the other plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, making sure not to burn the oil. When oil is hot, fry chicken in batches until golden brown and juices run clear, turning chicken to brown evenly.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 4/5/2013


*******************************
We too can know this God and be assured of His presence. He has revealed Himself in His creation and in His Word. As we ask Him to make Himself known to us, we’ll learn that He is even more than the owner and creator of everything! - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment