Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stories

Our Daily Bread
I think everyone has at least one in their family -- the storyteller.  The aunt or uncle that everyone crowds around to hear about some fascinating or funny or both stories that people take with them.  If you are lucky, the young people will try to remember them.  I recall a young cousin trying to retell a story she heard from my grandmother.  It was embellished, but it was very cool hearing it from her!

Telling the stories of our relationships with God is crucial.  That is how Christianity spread like wildfire.  People telling people!  How can the next generation and the next and the next continue to spread the Gospel if we don't plant it in their heads and hearts now?

Lord, thank you for your everlasting story.  Please help us share it with everyone we can.

Simply Saturday
Be careful
I was joking with a friend the other day about something we saw while walking around.  We both said "I can NEVER un-see what I just saw!  EEwwwww!"  That got my silly brain thinking.  On the way home from work one day this week, the words to the song "Slow Fade" stuck in my head.  Here are the lyrics:

Be careful little eyes what you see
It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
Be careful little feet where you go
For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you're thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

Oh be careful little eyes what see
Oh be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh be careful little eyes what you see

While there are some single events in our lives that change them forever, most changes come in via the slow fade like the son says.  How does this really affect our daily lives?

For me, I started a few years ago cleaning house, so to speak, about the things I see and hear.  I got rid of questionable movies in my collection.  I deleted the questionable pictures off of my computer.  I did my best to stop the questionable things that I dwelled on in my silly head sometimes.  

The mind cleaning also lead to the scripture passage about asking God for a clean heart and a right mind.  Wow...  Like the song says, it is amazing how changes in your mind and heart move to your hands.  You have different priorities.  You want to do more for others.  You feel fulfilled as a person because of the relationships you develop in the Lord.  

Be careful.  Be vigilant.  


********************************
We too can know this God and be assured of His presence. He has revealed Himself in His creation and in His Word. As we ask Him to make Himself known to us, we’ll learn that He is even more than the owner and creator of everything! - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment