Tuesday, May 14, 2013

You ain't from 'round here

Our Daily Bread
I have spent a lot of my life in Kentucky.  I went to school there (three times).  I lived in Louisville for 16 years.  I retained much of my Northern Ohio accent all those years.  I don't know how many times I heard the question "You ain't from 'round here, are ya?".  ha!  I spent time with my sister over the weekend who lives in a very rural part of Kentucky.  I just HAD to tease her about it!

The devotional says I was wrong about teasing my sister.  In God's eyes, it is not where you grew up.  It is how you grew up.  I thought that was cool.  I grew up in a small town out in the country.  Attended a small high school.  Even though I had a lot to learn about the big city when I went to college and started traveling, I always felt grounded in my upbringing.  That was probably due to my family as much as my surroundings.

Whenever you might be embarrassed about your upbringing, take a second look at all the good that came out of it!  One of my "good things" is some of the friends from high school that are still part of my life!

Lord, you had a plan in mind when you placed each of us where we grew up.  Please help us to be thankful and look for the good in our upbringing!

Teaching Tuesday
The last lesson of EFM Year One was about the wisdom and apocalyptic books in the Old Testament.  It is hard to believe that Year One is almost over!

Wisdom literature includes Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job.  The book describes Job as one of the "world literature's great classics".  I agree!

Apocalyptic books are generally accepted as Daniel, some of the psalms and part of the Book of Zechariah. Very interesting stuff!  The word "apocalyiptic" comes from a Greek word meaning "to uncover" or "to reveal".  Apocalyptic writing claims to impart a revelation that has been given to the writer.  (EFM Guide)

The manual also made it clear that Revelation in the New Testament should not be classified the same as Daniel!  I thought that was interesting.

*****************************
You are a success in God’s kingdom if you are faithful where He has placed you. - Our Daily Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment