Sunday, March 30, 2014

Not exactly "meek"

Our Daily Bread
While reading for my EFM class last week, I finally figured out what my "condition" is called.  I say "condition" because I often think of my outspoken personality as a bad thing.  The word for it is "parrhesia" which means "a tendency to boldness and frankness of speech; freedom of expression, as in much modern literature." - Free Online Dictionary  I joked in class that for all of these years my friends (and enemies) just thought I was an a$$hole!  Nooooooo!

I thought parrhesia was a bad thing until the book said that Jesus also had this personality trait.  Wow!  I have never been so happy to have something in common with Our Lord!  ha!  The difference between us is that he spoke God's Love with boldness and frankness.  My boldness is not always inspired by God's love.  Sometimes I am just an a$$hole!  Nooooooooo!  hahaha  I mention this because Jesus was also our example for meekness.  The Biblical meaning of meekness, not what the world calls meekness today.  How can someone have a personality that is described as both parrhesia and meekness?  It finally hit me that someone who is so filled with God and his Love that he lives his life as the image of God.  Oh to be a man like that.

Lord, the world thinks that meek means weak.  We know that meek means in sync with you!

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 137 is our psalm for this week.  Talk about a ride on the Betty Bitterbus!  This psalm was obviously written after the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonian empire.  Talk about dark and scary!  I think what scares me the most is that I have very dark feelings sometimes.  God already knows about these things in each of us.  The psalmist gives us the message "that is OK" by his example!  Take them to the Lord in prayer!

Psalm 137

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
    when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars
    we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
    our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
    they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord
    while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
    may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
    if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
    my highest joy.
7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
    on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried,
    “tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
    happy is the one who repays you
    according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
    and dashes them against the rocks.

***********************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment