Monday, May 25, 2015

How can I keep from singing?

Our Daily Bread
After having a very difficult time with some friends at church, I showed up for choir practice much to the surprise of the choir director. When he asked me if I was OK, I held up one of our anthems "How can I keep from Singing" and smiled. No, I was not OK, but I still couldn't find ANY excuse for not singing the praises of God!

The Old Testament is filled with songs, most notably the book of Psalms.  There are laments and victory songs in other books of the OT as well, as noted in the devotional today. 

What are your "victory" songs? What are your "lamenting" songs? How about "God is going to get me through this" song?  I have many in each category, but these stand out:
victory song: Trumpet of Jesus by The Imperials
lamenting song: Worn by Tenth Avenue North
God is going to get me through this song: Song of Deliverance by Debby Boone and My Deliverer by Mandisa

Movie Monday
I saw two movie this week: Mad Max: Fury Road and Pitch Perfect 2.

Mad Max: Fury Road
MM:FR was a testosterone-filled, blow stuff and atypical hero wins out in the end kind of movie. I don't remember the original Mad Max movie, but this one was amazing if you like action. The characters were bizarre. The "new world" after the atomic bomb holocaust was depressing, yet very vivid in its contrasts.

I give this one three bear paws. Definitely see it on the big screen, maybe even spring for the 3D version.

Pitch Perfect 2
If you liked the original Pitch Perfect movie, you will love this one. It is much of the same, but much more campy, often making fun of itself (you have to see the We Belong duet...OMG).  After winning the national title three years in a row, the Bellas face their biggest challenge yet. Like the first film, the last scenes are worth the price of admission!

I give this one three bear paws. See it at the theater for the great sound on the songs. 

**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns 

No comments:

Post a Comment