Monday, May 18, 2015

One step up...

Our Daily Bread
When I read the devotional today, I thought of an old song. I thought it was by Bruce Springsteen, but I wasn't sure. It is called One Step Up.  Here are some of the lyrics:
Woke up this morning my house was cold 
Checked out the furnace she wasn't burnin' 
Went out and hoped in my old Ford 
Hit the engine but she ain't turnin' 
We've given each other some hard lessons lately 
But we ain't learnin' 
We're the same sad story that's a fact 

One step up and two steps back 

Isn't that how it feels on our spiritual journey sometimes? We think we are making progress, then pride or sin causes us to slip back a few steps. I am eternally thankful for a Heavenly Father who loves us and forgives us when we fall. He gently picks us back up and helps us keep climbing. Praise God!

Movie Monday
I really wanted to see Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road this weekend, but didn't make it to the movie theater due to a busy schedule. I managed to watch some stuff on Netflix Sunday.

Odd Thomas
This movie is about a young man named "Odd Thomas". His name at birth was supposed to be "Todd", but something happened to the "T". Ha!  I hate it when that happens!  Like his mother, he has special abilities. He can talk to dead people. With this gift, he helps resolve the issues of the dead and helps solve their murders. I thought this flick was very well written. Very sweet. Very suspenseful in places. Nice plot twists.

I give it three bear paws. Available on Netflix.

The Vicar of Dibley (TV series)
I recently discovered that this series is no longer available on Amazon Prime. Noooooooo! Fortunately, I DVRd it before it was removed. I binge watched most of the series Sunday after and evening. It was worth it! Very sweet and inspiring story about a woman vicar (priest) going to a small parish in a very small town. My favorite episode was the Christmas one. Very funny and very moving. I think it was in season three.

This is a great series for Episcopalians and Anglicans to watch. It was filmed in Great Britain in the early 90s so there are a lot of references to cultural things at that time. The British accents and slang can bog you down a little at times. I had to look up a few words!

**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns 

No comments:

Post a Comment