Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why do we obey?

Our Daily Bread
I read something last week that we should not expect any special recognition when we do the work of our Lord.  Why?  Because the honor of serving God surpasses any earthly recognition!  Wow!  So many times we want to be recognized in this world and the next for doing what we are supposed to do.

I asked myself about my motivation.  I consider myself an intrinsically motivated type of person.  Being honest with myself, I also like the recognition for being a good person, for being a reasonable semblance of a Christian and someone who cares for others.  Is that so wrong?  If I need this recognition, am I really doing the things I do for the right reasons?  Am I doing these things because I know if is the right thing?  Am I doing these things because I am required to?

Why is this important?  ;-)  I know I can drone on about seemingly meaningless topics at times!  hehehe  It is important because if we do things for the wrong reasons, even very good things, we can start to resent the recipients if we don't get what we think we deserve in return!  Wow!  Please take a look at the things you do and the reasons you do them.  I know I will take a closer look.

Lord, help me obey you out of my love for you, not out of duty.  I want to serve others as a tribute to you.  Not a tribute to me!

Simply Saturday
I am having a good weekend after a very busy week!  I am feeling better since starting my antibiotics the other day.  I am very happy about that!  I spent last evening with a close friend and his family.  I am packing for my trip today, then spending the afternoon and evening with my close friend again.  I will miss seeing him this week when I am out of town.

I will have some special entries next week during my Orlando trip.  I will try to write every day and include some pictures.  I am staying at the Yacht and Beach Club Disney resort.  It should be a great conference.  I am also looking for a few days of "me" time at the end of the week.  I need to get charged up so I can deal with my surgery on Feb 8.  I have been through this surgery before in my other eye.  I will relax and rest and take it easy during my recovery.  I am not very good at any of those things!  hehehe

I want you to know how wonderful life is if you haven't taken the time to look around lately.  It is a wonderful life as long as you have God in your life.  There may be trials and temptations.  That is normal for any life.  God never gives us more than we can bear.  He will always give us the strength we need to survive and conquer if we continue to trust and serve him.  As I said once in this blog "A life well lived is great.  A life well loved is best!"

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment