Saturday, October 6, 2012

Drop 'em!

Our Daily Bread
Have you ever met someone that can't talk without using their hands?  ha!  I tease them that I have to tie their hands down to shut them up!

There are times as Christians that we need to drop our hands.  Dropping our hands means that we can't talk.  Can't do much.  Ever try to eat without your hands?  Dropping our hands makes us defenseless, vulnerable and almost powerless (for those of us used to having both hands).  That is where God works best in us -- when we turn ourselves over to him.  I like this saying:

When we put our problems in God’s hands,
He puts His peace in our hearts.


I am going through something right now that I need to put in God's hands and stop struggling.  God told me to stop struggling with this.  I am a "doer" and have trouble putting my hands down (away from my phone or computer keyboard!).

What are you supposed to let go of today?  And I mean today!

Lord, thank you for working on the behalf of those who love you. Please help us put down our hands and let you do your work!

Simply Saturday
We can choose
As I thought about what to write this week, I drew another blank until I remembered a Facebook conversation with a close friend.  He mentioned how some rude emails from coworkers were going to ruin his entire day and it wasn't even 8:00 am yet!

I gently responded that they didn't have to.  ;-)  Circumstances cannot rob our joy as Christians unless we let them.  That goes for any circumstance whether it be some rude emails or illness or loneliness or financial worries or .  Life is not just about the things that happen to us.  The biggest blessing of living life in Christ is that life is also about "reacting".  We can move beyond the human nature way of reacting to things and move on to a Godly way of reacting to things.  Human nature slaps back.  Godly nature turns the other cheek.  Human nature holds a grudge.  Godly nature forgives and loves.

Yes, there are times in our lives when we feel everything is falling in on us.  It is during those times I recommend talking to God in the most honest and sincere way possible.  It is almost child-like in nature.  Remember how children are brutally honest and open.  Be that way with God in your prayers.  He knows anyway, right?  I feel like a six year old again (if I can remember back that far!) when I pour my heart out to God that so and so did this or what's his name did that and hurt me.  Be honest.

I won't leave you with scriptures or sayings or other words that can seem patronizing during a difficult time.  I will leave you with this -- God loves you. He wants to love you and support you as you follow his will.  Make it so!

********************************
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment