Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Get a grip

Our Daily Bread
My best friend and I like kitchen gadgets.  You never know what we will try next.  One of the things that I especially like are things that help me open jars.  I ain't gettin' any younger!  The devices help me get a better grip and get more leverage on the pesky jar tops!

The Bible is our ultimate "life gadget" in my opinion!  It helps us get a better grip on life and get more leverage on those pesky life issues!  ha!  The devotional talks about how Solomon moved away from his God because he was distracted by his foreign wives who wanted to worship the gods of their homelands.  Instead of getting a better grip, Solomon caved in and built holy places for these other gods.  The one true Almighty God took offense to that and acted on Solomon's disobedience.  Yes, our disobedience does have consequences!

Are you staying focused on serving the one true God?  Or are things and people drawing you away?

Lord, please help us stay focused on serving only you!

Teaching Tuesday
The lesson was about Abraham, Lot and Sodom and Gomorrah.  The story of Abraham is central to the Old Testament as he is considered the original patriarch of Israel.  This is my favorite story in the Bible.  Until this Bible study, I never realized how God revealed himself to us in the early Old Testament chapters.  I always thought Abraham was the first real interaction with mankind (outside of Adam and Eve, of course).

I like the story for a few reasons.  First, it shows that God recognizes the folks that are faithful to him.  Second, God honors his promises.  Third, God cares about us more than anything else on this planet.  Lastly, God can use the most imperfect people to accomplish his will.  Amazing stuff!

************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment