Sunday, October 28, 2012

God hasn't moved...

Our Daily Bread
There is a cute story about an older couple riding in the car.  The gentleman is driving, as usual.  His wife of over fifty years looks over and says "Remember when we used to sit very close together in the car and always have to be touching?"  The gentleman looked over and said lovingly "I haven't moved..."  Ha!

Isn't that the way we are with God so many times?  We complain that God feels so far from us.  He doesn't watch our lives "from a distance" like the song mentioned in the devotional.  He is with us each and every second of each and every day.  Friends tease me sometimes because I talk about my conversations with God like he is a real person.  I am like "Uh, he is a real person.  Where have you been?"  ha!

Talking...and more importantly... and listening to God like he is a "real person" is an important part of getting to know God better! Try it today.  It may feel odd at first.  Trust God.  He is with you.

Lord, thank you for always being near.  Please help us always remember that!

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 67 is short and very full of praise!  May we all praise God!

I created something special to me this week.  I call it a psalm mashup.  It is a combination of psalm verses that speak specifically to my needs or feelings for the day.  I love the psalms, but I sometimes find the archaic language disturbing instead of inspiring (breaking of enemies' teeth?).  Find some of your favorite psalm verses and try your own.

My First Psalm Mashup:
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

Psalm 67

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm. A song.

1 May God be gracious to us and bless us
    and make his face shine on us—
2 so that your ways may be known on earth,
    your salvation among all nations.
3 May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
4 May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
    for you rule the peoples with equity
    and guide the nations of the earth.
5 May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
6 The land yields its harvest;
    God, our God, blesses us.
7 May God bless us still,
    so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.

************************************

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment