Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Not a burden

Our Daily Bread
I worked a year after high school before going off to college.  I paid rent.  I kept my own hours.  The first break I visited home, my father initiated a curfew of 11:00 pm (which I never had when I lived at home).  I looked at my mother and said "Please take me back to school or I will hitchhike!".  We get used to our freedom!  He was only trying to protect me from myself (even though I really didn't need it!).

A lot of people think that God is like my father -- giving us unreasonable rules and boundaries.  I have thought about this a lot in my Bible studies and my life.  Even though reading some of the Old Testament rules and laws is almost painful at times, they were necessary for folks to live the way they needed to in God.   Here is a simple equation:
Living in God = peace and harmony
NOT living in God = chaos!

Like our parents, God loves us and gives us rules to help us live the right way and to protect us.  Praise God!

Lord, thank you for the rules and directives.  We praise you!

Wellness Wednesday
Have you set your goals yet?  Why not?  ;-/  Get to it!

So this week I want to talk a little bit about eating.  Yikes, like I know anything about this!  ha!  If you have read my blog for a while, you know my pet saying:  "I hold onto my bad eating habits tighter than a box of Hohos on a Saturday night!"  ha!

Seriously, try these simple things that I do to be healthier:

  1. Reduce portions.  
  2. Eat healthy snacks (100 calories or less with some nutritional value) instead of treats.
  3. Don't salt stuff so much. 
  4. Cut down on processed foods (and I LOVE ham, sausage and bacon!)
  5. Do a rough plan of your meals for the week (but don't be rigid because it can reduce your happiness).

These things helped me start my weight loss and have developed into habits.  If I can do it, anyone can!

100 Simple Secrets of Happy People -- Secret number 20: Develop a household routine.
I am a planner.  I have a household routine that I try to follow as my schedule allows.  I feel like I am not overwhelmed with all the things a single homeowner needs to do!  That is important for our happiness!  I also find that NOT being hard on myself when things don't look the way I want is also important for my happiness.

*******************************

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment