Saturday, July 4, 2015

Free indeed

Free Indeed

I have been thinking about this July 4th more than any July 4th in my life.  People like me have a new, old freedom. It is a privilege, a rite of passage in some cultures, some would even call it holy. It is generally known, with both good and bad connotations, as marriage.  

After studying church history in my EFM class last year, I learned how little I really know about the history of the Christian church as we know it today. The influences. The scandals. The well-meaning folks who tried to move the Church as a whole forward throughout the ages.  I joked with my classmates that it amazes me the Church has survived for 2000 years with the way we treated each other and those outside the Christian church! There MUST be something to this GOD thing! Praise God!

I found this article while researching the institution of marriage. Many Christians believe since the Bible mentions some passages about marriage, that the church "owns" the institution. That is just not true. Check out this article based on the book "Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage," (Penguin Books, 2006) Of course there are many other books, volumes and volumes of them, about marriage. What should it be? I hope I have the opportunity to find out some day!

Free speech is also something that has been bantered around the Internet, especially on Facebook and Twitter. Wow! Soooooo many opinions!  One meme that I don't like is something about "you can say what you want, but when I do it is hate and bigotry". Well, in my opinion, it is. When you and your denomination pick one "sin", if it is even a sin at all, and have laser sharp focus on false teachings and your outdated opinions, I would call that bigotry and hate.  Many well-meaning people have strongly held religious beliefs that lead them to terror groups, hate groups and the worst -- congregations of Christians that think they are doing the right thing. Their "standing up for what they believe in" is driving folks away from the church. 

Our freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence. Just ask Donald Trump after his comments this week. He was "free" to say those hateful things, but he was wrong IMHO for doing so. 

As Christians, we are to use our freedom of speech to draw others to Christ. Our opinion doesn't really matter. Leading others to Christ does!


**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment