Thursday, July 16, 2015

What's in a name?

Our Daily Bread
If you know me at all you know that I don't know nothin' bout birthin' no babies. Being a father is something that is not in God's plan for my life. Writing about today's devotional about naming is odd for me.

My own naming story is that I was named after my biological father and my uncle. My adopted father gave me his last name after he and my mother married when I was very young. I have been called many other names over the years, but I digress.  hahahaha

The devotional talks about the story of Joseph and Mary and the naming of their firstborn son. In the Hebrew culture back then, the father announced the name of the child, especially sons since they would carry on the family name. Names usually meant something very important. In the case of Joseph, he was instructed what to name is firstborn son, Jesus.

Yes, there really is something about that name.

Technology Thursday
So many ports, so little time...

Like most people these days, I usually use USB devices, mostly 2.0. I recently started using USB 3.0 devices. Some folks asked if it really made a difference. Did it make sense for them to upgrade. Then I started using a Mac where I discovered Firewire and Thunderbolt ports.  Add on the different types of plugs for phones and tablets. Confusion ensued!  LOL What is the difference?

USB
Most USB devices from version 1.0 to the current 3.0 standard have the same plugs. They only fit in the computer and devices one way. TIP: the side of the USB port with the crease is the bottom! There is a new standard coming out that has a reversible plug, meaning you can use it either way, up or down. Very nice!

Firewire
Firewire has a unique plug type that was the original "faster" interface in the modern PC world. Since its introduction the plug types have leapfrogged each other for the bragging rights of who is faster. There are so many Firewire devices out there, the port is still included on most Macs and some PCs.

Thunderbolt
This is a standard initiated by Apple for its PCs and laptops. It very, very fast, over twice as fast as USB 3.0. The latest Thunderbolt 2 ports are four times as fast as USB 3.0 The downside is that the cables and devices that use the Thunderbolt port are very expensive compared to USB 3.0 devices.  Make sure that is what you need before you invest.

Here is a speed comparison chart I found here:
In Bytes per second, that is:
  • USB 1.1 = 1.5 MB/s
  • Firefire 400 = 50 MB/s
  • USB 2.0 = 60 MB/s
  • FireWire 800 = 100 MB/s
  • USB 3.0 = 625 MB/s
  • USB 3.1 = 1.21 GB/s
  • eSATA = 750 MB/s
  • Thunderbolt = 1.25 GB/s × 2 (2 channels)
  • Thunderbolt 2 = 2.5 GB/s

**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment