Saturday, July 18, 2015

Press on

Our Utmost for His Highest

There are two topics I want to write about today: fake fingernails and religion.  What could these two things possibly have in common? 

I have a joke that I say to myself each day: remember the fake fingernails and PRESS ON. Yes, I know it is very silly, but simple and effective. I write about this as I have several friends going through difficult times right now. One friend has a father who is dying from cancer. Another friend lost the love of his life recently. Another friend is overwhelmed by the prospect of losing his job during a merger. I don't use the fake fingernail saying with them, but I use it with myself so I can encourage them more effectively.  Remember, PRESS ON!

I read the Our Utmost for His Highest devotional this morning. I found this except that really spoke to me:
Many people begin coming to God once they stop being religious, because there is only one master of the human heart— Jesus Christ, not religion.

 Most folks I know think that religion leads us to God. It makes sense doesn't it? The problem is, in my opinion, that we focus on doing the "thou shalts" from the religion instead of listening to God.  The Holy Spirit will lead us to God if we listen. The devotional gives Paul as an example for us to follow. He gave himself to God and obeyed God. He actually went against his "religion" that he had followed to the letter since he was a boy.

In summary, PRESS ON. Give yourself to God, not your religion!  WE CAN DO THIS!

**********************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment