Monday, March 21, 2011

Better using honey than vinegar...

Our Daily Bread
My grandmother used to tell me "It is easier to attract a bee with honey than vinegar".  I didn't understand that when I was younger.  I finally realized that she meant it is easier to overcome agreements with folks by being nice (honey) instead of being nasty (vinegar).  Do you think that is true?

I have seen it work both ways.  There are some folks and some times when using honey is definitely the way to go.  I realize there have been times when I was nice and charming and resolved an awkward situation very quickly and painlessly.  There are other times when I had to be firm, but not nasty.  There have been a few times that I had to get downright nasty to get my point across.  I try to minimize the number of occurrences of the latter.  It is difficult at times.  Very difficult.  I have a tendency to go from strategy 1 to strategy 3 in 1.5 seconds if I am in a hurry or stressed.  Not a good thing.

The point is that as children of God, we should "default" to or make a normal behavior to be nice.  We can still be firm, but be nice. 

Lord, help me remember that every person is your creation.  I want to treat them that way.


Movie Monday
I saw a lot of movies last week.  My basic schedule was work, eat movies.  The movie thing has been a challenge for me since I gave up popcorn for Lent.  I received not one, but two, free popcorn coupons in the last week!  Get thee behind me Satan!  Man does not live by popcorn alone!  hehehe

Limitless
I saw the new movie Limitless yesterday after church.  It was an interesting ride.  The plot was cool.  There were interesting characters.  Smart people.  I like smart people.  There was also a lesson about taking short cuts to get ahead.  There are consequences to your actions.  I know if anyone else in the audience got that, but I did...  The acting was as good as it needed to be.  Robert de Niro had a small part. He did well with the lines he had.

Overall, I give the movie 2 bear paws.  You can rent this one.  There really wasn't anything that required seeing the movie on the big screen. 


Other Stuff
I tried to take it easy over the weekend.  Spent a lot of time alone or at the movies.  Watched college basketball games (Goooooo Bucks!). I am a little nervous about playing UK on Friday.  I am a UK fan as well, but I want OSU to win.  OH ---  IO!  ;-)

My eyes are doing OK.  The right eye is healing.  I am going to make doctor appointment for an annual physical, maybe have a stress test done.  Haven't had one of those for a while.  I need to eat better and also take better care of my borderline high blood pressure.  HBP runs in my family.  My uncle sort of died from it.  ;-(

Busy week.  I am looking forward to spending time with friends.  I also plan to rejoin Illuminati on Wednesday night.  It is the small, sacred music group of the Columbus Gay Mens Chorus. 

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do....

No comments:

Post a Comment