Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How rich are you?

Our Daily Bread
I think about passages of scripture like this a lot.  I am truly blessed with many earthly things, though I am not "rich" like the folks in the devotional.  Yet I am able to share what I have with the needy and support my church. Before this sounds like I am blowing my own horn and completely ditching the humility lessons God has been teaching me, I need to say that I have two problems.

First, I could do more.  We could all give more.  We could all sacrifice a little to give to those who are less fortunate.  I struggle with where I draw the line between extravagant living and giving enough.  Hmmm.

Second, I don't always give with the right intentions. I have been trying to give with God's agape kind of love, whether it is giving money or my time or doing things for friends.  It is difficult to give without expecting something in return, if nothing more than a little consideration for your feelings or a kind act in return.  It is human nature.  There is the struggle.  I want to have God's nature.

The big lesson I learned (again) last week is: just because you love a porcupine or a lion or whatever unsafe thing you can think of, doesn't mean you have to hold it close.  There have been some folks in my life that I held close that hurt me often.  I overlooked it because of my Christian beliefs.  That is not right, not healthy and certainly not Christian.  I understand now how to forgive and love without sacrificing my own health in the process.  Are there things like that in  your life?

Lord, thank you for more wisdom and faith.  I want to trust you even more...

Training Tuesday
The chapter this week from Embracing an Adult Faith was about Jesus, or who I think Jesus is.  Here are a couple of the questions and my responses.

Why does Jesus matter to you (if he does)?
Jesus matters to me for several reasons.  I believe he was the Son of God made into man.  He understands what it means to be human on this earth.  I believe he was a wonderful teacher and example for us for a different way to live our lives.

What does Easter mean to you?
I believe Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins and then rose again to share victory over sin and death.

How has relationship with the post-Easter Jesus changed your life?
It has given me a sense of peace and purpose in my life.  I feel like I am living beyond myself.  Cool!  My life is not ordinary!


Other Stuff
Work continues to be busy as I try to figure out some major issues.  Whew!  I hope to take Wednesday off for some comp time.  Whew!  hehehe

My eyes are doing OK.  Go back to the doctor tomorrow.  I may schedule an appointment with my family doctor.  I don't think my sinus infection is getting any better.  Heavy sigh...

Having trouble adjusting to DST?  I am!  hehehe

Trying to decide where my next trip will be.  Some place warm?  Some place amazing?  I have no clue.  I need to schedule a trip with Southwest before the middle of May.  I am looking at NYC for their car show.  That could be an idea.

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment