Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sometimes you have to get a little dirty...

Our Daily Bread
I planted some bulbs the other day.  Yes, I know I am about five months too late to plant bulbs.  I looked at them and they were starting to sprout inside their packages!  I thought it couldn't hurt to plant them.  I will see what happens.

The devotional today is about cultivating -- God cultivating us like gardeners would their beloved plants.  Gardeners know (and I did not) that you have to shake things up for plants to be healthy.  You have to loosen and turn the soil to let in water and air to the plant roots.

God allows things to happen to us at times to shake us up.  To turn the soil that we grow in to let in water and nutrients so we can grow.  I know it is difficult to deal with.  I find that I listen to God more intently during times of isolation.  The alone time I spent over the weekend helped me to realize some things about the way my life is going to be.  First, I need to love, but not cuddle with the cactus people in my life.  You know the people I am talking about.  I also call them energy vampires.  I also know that I need to trust God more and love myself like God loves me.

Lord, I want to love like you love.  I ask for your strength and guidance.

Teachings Tuesday
The chapter for this week in the Embracing an Adult Faith workbook is about Salvation.  Here are a few of the questions and my answers.

What words, images, memories, and experiences do you associate with the word salvation?
Forgiveness
sacrifice
forsaking self
The little Sunday School class where I accepted Christ as my Savior
A new beginning

Sin is another problematic word for many.  What is your current understanding of this word?  How has that changed from earlier years?
Sin used to be the things that my parents didn't want me to do.  Now I understand sin as the things that God doesn't want me to do or not doing the things I should be doing.

What images, symbols, words. rituals and practices support you in the way?
Prayers, songs, acts of gratitude, self-reflection, serving others, listening.

Other Stuff
My right eye is trying to heal from the laser surgery last Wednesday.  That is a relief.  It will take a few months for it to heal completely.  The left eye is doing great.

I figured out some issues at work yesterday.  Looking forward to fixing some more stuff today.  Woohooo!

I am looking forward to making dinner for friends tonight.

God moved me past some things over the weekend.  Like I keep saying, I have no idea where this road is going.   I will keep walking.  What does it matter where it goes as long as God is leading?  And yes, I admit that NOT knowing drives me nuts sometimes!  I am only human!  God, please throw me a bone sometime!  hehehe  I discovered something very important -- there is peace on this road.  The peace that passeth all understanding.

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment