Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Reminder

Our Daily Bread
The devotional today talks about the memorial the Israelites build after they crossed the Jordan River into the promised land. God instructed them to do so as a reminder of the miraculous event in their history.  The devotional continues on asking us how we remember the things that God has done for us.  Are we really grateful?  Do we remember these things when we have doubts?

I came up with a card system that I posted on my refrigerator around Thanksgiving of 2009.  I asked a friend to share in this little adventure.  Each of us had four cards stuck on the fridge.  Each time we went by the fridge, which most of you know is pretty often for me, I would write on the cards or read the cards.  The cards contained the following lists:
List of important people in my life (my entire life)
List of blessings (other than people)
List of answered prayers
List of prayer requests

This was a powerful exercise for me.  I should do it more often, maybe two or three times per year.

Why don't you try it?  ;-)

Lord, I want to be grateful for the mighty ways you work in my life.  I want to remember these things when I have doubts and fears.

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 6 is another psalm where the writer is groaning in anguish.  This one takes a little different turn as the writer acknowledges God working in his life and in the lives of his enemies.  Please try to read this psalm once a day this week.  Does it express what you are feeling?  Are you confident that God will overcome in your life?


Psalm 6
    For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith.[b] A psalm of David.
 1 LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
   or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint;
   heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
   How long, LORD, how long?

 4 Turn, LORD, and deliver me;
   save me because of your unfailing love.
5 Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
   Who praises you from the grave?

 6 I am worn out from my groaning.

   All night long I flood my bed with weeping
   and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
   they fail because of all my foes.

 8 Away from me, all you who do evil,
   for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
   the LORD accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
   they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.


Other Stuff
I am thankful that my right eye is starting to settle down again.  I am taking additional efforts to watch my blood sugar and blood pressure.  I hope this will help prevent any more complications with my eyes.  I have been doing pretty well with the blood sugar levels, though sometimes I eat too many carbs and take a lot of insulin to cover them.  Not good.  I need to work on my stress levels and my blood pressure.  High blood pressure can have the same effect on my eyes.

I have had a weird weekend so far.  Saw a few movies.  Had a couple decent meals (I love Panera!).  Last night I watched college basketball and finished off a bottle of wine!  Yikes!

Purging your life of the things and people that distract you from what you need to do is very, very difficult.  I have always been taught to love others as myself.  I don't know that I want to be treated by others like I am doing right now to a few friends.  They hurt my feelings on purpose.  I am not punishing them, but separating myself from those who don't consider me important enough to care.  I don't think this is wrong of me.  Fortunately, there aren't too many folks like that in my life.  I asked God for more wisdom for what to do in these situations.  I am cordial to the folks at church or out and about.  I am not pursuing an active friendship with them due to the way they treated me.  I will forgive.  I will be OK.  I pray they will learn and be better.

I will probably clean the house and relax today.  More college basketball games on TV.  I am having friends over for dinner on Tuesday night.  I need to clean the house before their arrival.  I may go to the grocery this evening since I have a class at church Monday night.

Hang in there, my friends.  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment