Wednesday, June 5, 2013

cha-cha-changes...

Our Daily Bread
Yes, some more songs came to mind when I read the devotional this morning.  Changes by David Bowie and Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson came to mind.  Wow, what a wide range of musical taste!  ha!

The lyrics to Changes don't make much sense to me except for the part where the singer talks about the need to change.  I followed this thought with the Man in the Mirror song because I see areas in my life whenever the Holy Spirit holds up its spiritual mirror to my life!  Cha-cha-cha-changes for the man in the mirror!  Not just changes in behavior that I know I need to make, but changes to my heart that will drive long-term changes to my thoughts and behavior!  Praise God!

Lord, thank you for changing us if we turn our lives over to you!  Change, for your sake, is a good thing!

Wellness Wednesday
5 Biggest Mistakes People Make With Food And Exercise
I found this article the other day because I am struggling with  my eating and exercise lifestyle right now.  Whew...  I don't make very many of these mistakes, but I learned a couple of things. How about you?  You can click on the title of the article above to read the whole thing.

Eating Too Little Fat
Despite my recommendations to include good fats at every meal, like avocado, nuts, seeds and coconut oil, some of my clients remain fat phobic, and will scale back, fearing that fat is "fattening." But the truth is, getting enough fat is a smart strategy for both sports nutrition and weight control, because fat: delays stomach emptying, so you feel fuller longer; increases satiety, to shut off hunger hormones; boosts antioxidant absorption, which in emerging research is related to leanness; and ups metabolic rate, to help you burn more calories.

Using A Sports Drink When You Really Don't Need One
If you sweat heavily, work out for more than 90 minutes, or exercise in hot, humid conditions, reaching for a sports drink rather than plain water is a smart way to keep hydrated, stay fueled and replace the electrolytes lost in sweat. But if you're exercising for less than an hour and a half, in a climate-controlled gym, plain water should be fine.  NOTE: I drink PowerAde Zero that helps replenish me, but doesn't have the carbs!

Not Eating After A Workout Because You're Afraid To "Eat Back" What You've Burned
While it's true that overcompensating for a workout by eating too much can prevent you from shrinking your fat cells, striking the right balance is key. Working out takes a toll on your body, and having the right raw materials to heal and repair the wear and tear is important for seeing results. In other words, it's not just the training itself, but the healing from the training, that mends muscles, boosts metabolism and makes you more toned and fit.  NOTE: Try to eat 30 - 45 minutes after your workout!

Only Eating Protein Post Workout
While protein is a key recovery nutrient, it's only one piece of the puzzle. In addition to a lean protein source, like a smart phone-sized portion of fish or chicken or a scoop of lentils, you should aim for plenty of produce (to replenish nutrients and supply antioxidants), a healthy fat source (which also helps muscles heal and optimizes circulation), a small serving of a whole grain, like wild rice or quinoa (to replete glycogen, the carbohydrate stored in muscle tissue, which serves as a primary fuel source during exercise) and of course fluid, preferably good old H2O (to rehydrate).

Doubling Up On Recovery Meals
For my pro athlete clients, I highly recommend eating something like an all natural bar or shake within 30 minutes of the end of a game or a tough training session whenever possible, because starting the recovery process within a half hour has been shown to help maximize healing. But employing this strategy if you're not a pro can wind up working against you.

******************************
When your world falls apart, unapologetically collapse into the arms of God. - Howerton

No comments:

Post a Comment