Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Recipe for a Godly life

Our Daily Bread
I like to cook. Sometimes I use a recipe.  Sometimes I "modify" a recipe as I go a long.  I sometimes follow my grandmother's approach to "a pinch of this and a smidgen of that".  ha!  The end result is usually edible, but not always!

There is one recipe that is guar-an-teed to be successful!  Incorporating the Word of God into your mind and heart is the recipe for a Godly life!  Praise God!  The devotional does a great job of walking through scripture passages talking about this thought.  What did I learn?  I need to take my time while eating my meals AND I need to take my time while reading and studying God's Word! 

Lord, thank you for your Word.  Please help us savor the concepts in our  minds and hearts so we can live a Godly life!

Teaching Tuesday
More Notes and Insights into  A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough by Wayne Muller
This book is slowly changing my mind about some things.  I am on page 100 out of 240.  It is very repetitive, however, I find that stubborn old bears like me need that!  ha!

Think about the title of the book:  Do we really think we are adequate in the "being enough" department?  I know I don't always feel that way.

Do we really think we are adequate in the "having enough" department?  We live in a society where more and more is still not "enough". 

Do we really think we are adequate in the "doing enough" department?  I struggle with this one, too, because God gave me a lot of things I can do.  How much should we do?  For whom?  How often?

The bottom line so far for me has been the discussion about changing our attitudes and beliefs about enough.  Don't change.  Don't even try. Why?  Because if we allow God to enter our minds and hearts the change will come supernaturally!  Trying to change ourselves only leads to frustration and burnout.

Think about it.  Pray about it.  There is still 140 pages to go.  ;-)  D

*******************************
We too can know this God and be assured of His presence. He has revealed Himself in His creation and in His Word. As we ask Him to make Himself known to us, we’ll learn that He is even more than the owner and creator of everything! - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment