Monday, June 24, 2013

Real, very Real

Our Daily Bread
Several friends posted about Nic Wallenda, the guy who walked a tight rope across the Grand Canyon without a tether or net below him.  One of my FB friends noticed that he talked to God the entire time.  He accomplished his goal without falling!  Amazing!

I thought this fit the devotional for today -- life without a simulator.  Or, in the case of Nic, life without a tether or safety net!  I know each of us does the best we can to live for God.  What exactly does that mean? Does living for God mean that we are magically granted an easy life?  Does it mean we will never face hurt or pain?  Does it mean that we will be loved by all and fit in with this world?  IMHO, no, it doesn't.  It does mean that we have the God who created the heavens and earth by just saying the words with us.  He strengthens us when weak.  Encourages us when weary.  He sends his angels and fellow Christians in miraculous ways to love and encourage us.  God is with us!

For me personally, God made me with a strong personality and spirit and a tender heart to temper them.  I say more and feel more than many folks.  God also called me to be transparent about my spiritual journey.  This is not always easy either, however, I feel like my whole (and everyone's lives) will all come to light eventually.  When it comes to my feelings, God is teaching me about empathy, acknowledging my feelings and giving them over to him.  There is also the concept of "holding things in my heart" when I sometimes know things before others do.  It is not easy, but God is there.  God is there indeed.

Lord, thank you for making real life real.  You never let anything happen to us that we can't handle with your by our side!

Movie Monday
I saw the movie This is the End last week.  Lord have mercy.  It was a mixed bag of funny, very funny and really odd and stupid.  The setting is Los Angeles where a bunch of actors playing themselves have a house warming party in the new home of James Franco.  Things turn very odd when what is supposedly the Apocalypse occurs.  Lots of fire and damnation.  Lots of people being beamed up in blue light.  Lots of "end of the world" humor as they deal with the last days.  Some of the stuff is so funny. Most of it is really stupid.  Lots of profanity.  Lots of drug use reference.  Lots of stars playing themselves in odd situations and roles, for example, Channing Tatum.  Oh boy...

I give this movie one and a half bear paws.  The half is for the odd scene at the end when some of them make it to heaven.

*************************
If we’re gonna pray about it
There’s no use in worrying
If we’re gonna worry about it
Why are we praying
Just leave it in the hands of the Father
Leave it in the hands of the Healer
Leave it in the hands of Jesus
And walk away
Walk away   -- Brandon Heath & Thad Cockrell

No comments:

Post a Comment