Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Contrary to popular belief

Our Daily Bread
Some acquaintances noticed very quickly that I am not a typical bear.  A bear is thick, hairy guy, most often associated with gay hairy guys.  I am not a typical gay guy either, contrary to popular belief of what a gay guy or bear is supposed to be like!

Contrary to popular belief, Christians are supposed to be a certain way.  We are to be humble servants instead of haughty, judgmental hypocrites.  Isn't that the big complaint from folks that don't want to go to church?  "churches are filled with hypocrites".  To me that is like saying "I won't go to a hospital because it is full of sick people".  ha!  Most folks who go to church know they need to be there for one reason or another -- I hope the reason is to love and serve God and others!  Let us make that our goal!

Lord, thank you for giving us a reason and an example to serve others!

Teaching Tuesday
How far?
I haven't started reading my next book yet.  I hope to start this week.  It is about the Episcopal church.

I talked with some friends about the topic in today's devotional this week.  The question came up: how far should we go?  Hmmm.  I have thought about this many times over the years.  There is the concept of giving too much and getting burned out.  Some seminary friends called it "trying to draw from an empty well".  Others struggle with not giving enough.

After finishing the book about "enough" last week, I thought about this again.  My conclusion: "give as you feel lead by God".  Isn't that the entire reason for giving any way -- to serve God?  If we are giving for other reasons, like to only make ourselves better or out of guilt or to manipulate people, then we need to take a closer look at our intent.  Which comes first?  The right intent or the right actions.  We discussed that they don't always go hand in hand.  We should do our best to do what we can for the right reasons!

Most of us don't have to worry about giving too much. Well, I guess I should say "I don't have to worry about giving too much".  I am sort of selfish at times.  I can demand things if my needs aren't met instead of trust in God.

The bottom line:  Trust God's leadership.  Give of yourself as lead by God.  Trust God to meet your needs so you can better serve others.  That is a life well-lived.  No ordinary life as I call it!

***********************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment