Friday, July 29, 2011

It is just stuff...

Our Daily Bread
The devotional today reminds me of a conversation that I had with a close friend in the past few years.  We were talking about how God was working in us about all the "stuff" we had in our lives -- a nice house, nice car, clothes, shoes, etc -- much more than we really needed.  When we talked about the possibilities of our lives changing so we didn't have all of the "stuff", how would we live?

I think about that when I look around at all the folks that don't have much in this world.  Could I and should I downsize so I can give more to the poor and needy?  Most folks think I am very generous, but I know I can do more.  I will think about this some more and figure out what I need to do.  I made up a saying:
"It is OK to own stuff as long as the stuff does not own you."  ;-)

Lord, help me remember Micah 6:8 each and every day of my life....

Foodie Friday
I was watching the Food Network the other day while sitting in the doctors office.  If you know me, then you know I don't watch TV very much.  I saw this recipe and am dying to try it.  It is more complicated than I usually like, but it looked GREAT!  Here is the link.


Chicken Roulades with Chorizo and Manchego

Ingredients
Stuffing:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Kosher salt
Pinch crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped
1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, casing removed
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated aged Manchego cheese
1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
1 egg

Breading:
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1 cup panko breadcrumbs

Sauce:
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
Directions
For the stuffing: Carefully slice through the chicken breasts to open the thickest part like a book. Place the chicken breasts in between plastic wrap and pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to flatten and even out the chicken. Reserve.

Coat a large saute pan with olive oil, add the onions and sprinkle with salt and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Bring the pan to a medium-high heat and cook the onions until they are soft and very aromatic but have no color, 7 to 8 minutes. Toss in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

Crumble the chorizo and add to the pan. Cook the chorizo until it is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool slightly.

Transfer the chorizo mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, Manchego, parsley, almonds and egg. Taste to make sure the stuffing is delicious.

Divide the filling among the 4 chicken breasts. Make a log of stuffing across the widest part of the chicken breast. Fold the ends over the stuffing and roll the chicken up to enclose the stuffing. Secure the rolls shut with a toothpick.

For the breading: Set up a standard breading procedure with 3 bowls: 1 with flour, 1 with 2 eggs beaten together with 2 tablespoons water and 1 with the panko breadcrumbs.

Dust each chicken roll lightly with flour, then dip in the egg wash and then roll in the panko. Once all the chicken rolls have been breaded, let them hang out in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Add olive oil to a large, straight-sided saute pan until it reaches a depth of 1/2-inch and bring the pan to a medium-high heat.

Brown the chicken rolls on all sides. When the chicken is brown, remove from the pan and blot on paper towels. Transfer the rolls to a sheet tray and place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

For the sauce: Add a few drops of oil to a saute pan and add the shallots. Sprinkle with salt and bring the pan to a medium heat. Cook the shallots for 3 to 4 minutes and then add the sherry vinegar. Reduce the vinegar by half. Add half the chicken stock, season with salt and bring it to a boil. When the stock has reduced by half, add the remaining stock and reduce by half again. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed (it probably will).

Turn the heat to medium and swirl in 1 pat of butter at a time.

Remove the chicken from the oven, slice each roll into 4 or 5 slices, plate and spoon the sauce over.

Wine Pairing Suggestion: Albarino (Spanish wine goes with the Spanish ingredients).


Other Stuff
I went to the gym after work and then ran a quick errand to Walmart.  I had supper with my walking buddy and her husband after the Walmart trip.  The BBQ chicken, broccoli and mac and cheese were all delicious!  My walking buddy understood when I wanted small portions and no dessert.  I have been doing MUCH better about my eating habits the past three weeks.  I have lost about 10 pounds so far.  Whew!

The gym workout was my first in over 16 months.  I took it easy.  I have been doing some simple workouts at home to prepare.  It felt good.  I also felt odd because I was sooooo out of shape.  I will work back into it slowly.  By the time I got to the elliptical machine, I was very tired from the workout and my lunchtime walk.  I will work back up on that machine as well.  I may try to hit the gym after my Emmaus walk meeting tomorrow morning.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment