Thursday, July 28, 2011

What you do in secret...

Our Daily Bread
Have you ever known anyone that makes a big deal about everything they do for God?  It makes you wonder why they are really doing it -- for God or for their own edification!  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it is difficult at times.

The devotional talks about a period when the author fasted as part of his study on the Tabernacle of the Old Testament.  If you are not familiar with this wonder, read the book of Deuteronomy to find out the specifics of the movable structure.

I tried to not make my "restraint" last weekend a big deal.  I had a great time volunteering.  My friends didn't think I was having a good time because I wasn't doing the same things they were doing (drinking, carousing, sex, etc).  I did my best to be joyful and not be somber because of my "sacrifice".  It was not really a sacrifice.  God knows what is best for us.  He told me to do what was best for me.  For once, I listened.  I was very humbled by the strength he gave me.

Lord, help us have the quiet, confident joy that only you can give.

Technology Thursday
Still not much going on in the technology world.  Heavy sigh.  PCs are pretty much dead.  Laptops are turning into tablets.  Tablets are trying to be iPads.  People want to do everything on their phones, including taking pictures, making music and making movies.  Wireless phone providers such as ATT and Verizon are trying to figure out how to handle the volume of data traffic.  DOH!  If you sell hundreds of thousands of smartphones with data plans, people are going to use them!  DOH!  Oh well.

I received permission to order a new work laptop.  Woohooo!  I should get it in a few weeks.  It should be very fast.  I am excited.

Other Stuff
I had a great conversation last night with my close friend that has been going through a hard time.  We both shared several things and then prayed together.  I will do my best not to be selfish and push my way into his life any more than I already have.  He knows he can count on me if he wants to rely on me.  I will pray for him and give him space.

I saw the movie Captain America last night.  I will write about it on Monday.  A friend recommended Friends with Benefits.  That is not my usual kind of movie, but I may see it at her recommendation.

I canceled my registration for the Sing a New Song conference last night.  I really wasn't "feeling it".  I may regret this decision later, but I think it is the right one for now.  Canceling will save me over $200 and free up two vacation days I can use for something else.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment