Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oh brother..

Our Daily Bread
We studied the stories of Abraham and Sarah in the Disciple 2 class I took earlier this year.  My favorite saying in the class was about Sarah, who was about 90 years old when these stories occurred.  "Was she really that HOT at 90 for all of these kings and men to want her?"  hehehe  A fair question!

Yes, the lesson is a great one about fear.  It is easy to fear what might come next, what is happening now or what you already did!  Fear, in my opinion, comes in part from not trusting God.  I am not talking about trusting God more when you drive through a bad part of town, though I usually pray a lot when I do!  I am talking about the quiet, confident joy in knowing God has your back.  God wants to love and support you if you let his Holy Spirit flow through you.  Amazing stuff...

Lord, I want to trust you and not live in fear.  Thank you for overcoming fear and the grave!

Teaching Tuesday
I have no idea what to write here this week.  I have a few things to say about discernment, I think.  I have been thinking and praying a lot about discernment the past few months.  I am starting to understand, but also feel at times that I have no clue.  ;-p

What am I talking about?  If you read my blog much at all, you might remember my references to not knowing where the road before me is going and the fact that it doesn't really matter as long as God is leading.  That is all fine and good if you are standing still, however, life is about moving forward.  How fast should I go? Where should I stop along the way?  There are so many distractions, like the Cracker Barrel sign on the highway!  hehehe

We need discernment to help us sort out things.  To figure out what God wants to do and say.  To figure out what to do with our lives.  To figure out "what's next".  This is not just for the big things in life.  Discernment can also help us be more sensitive to the still small voice inside us that wants to lead us through each and every minute of every day.  How cool is that?

My latest example was Sunday.  I felt led to attend a church very close to my house.  The sermon was about "finding home" and "what's next".  Wow.  I couldn't believe it.  That was my affirmation of my decision to attend that day.  Does that mean I need to leave King Avenue?  Not necessarily.  My search for a new church home my lead back to King Avenue.  It may not.  I will find out and write about it here.

Other Stuff
I had a relaxing evening at home.  This weekend will be crazy busy with volunteer work.  I am excited about it.

I cut up the chicken I grilled last night over a salad for supper.  Mmmmm.  I forgot how much I liked that.  I ate pretty well yesterday.

I got two phone calls yesterday that my new great-nephew was born three months premature.  Mother and son are doing fine, but he will be in the hospital for a while.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment