Friday, April 13, 2012

No Never Alone...

Our Daily Bread
"No, never a----lo---ne----, no, never alone" is a hymn I used to sing earlier in my life.  I loved relying on its encouraging message during those times I felt very alone indeed!  We can all rest in this promise!

When I first read the devotional, I thought of some friends who are going through tough times.  I didn't think of myself at all.  As I thought about it more, it hit me right between the eyes!  Yes, some of my actions are direct contradictions to a promise that God made me "Duane, you will not be alone in this life.  I will lead you to your special man".  It is difficult for me (and many folks) to let go and let God.  I mean God made me so lovable and charming, shouldn't I be able to find my special man all on my own?  Just kidding about that first part!  Well, God wants to use our abilities with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  Oooohhhhhhhh!  I think I see now.  I shouldn't try to charm someone just because I am attracted to him.  That has been a problem for me in the past.

In what areas of your life do you sometimes feel alone?  Please remember the hymn about Him!  ;-)

Lord, thank you for always standing by me.  If you are not by my side, I now realize that I am the one who moved!

Foodie Friday
We have our dinner group this Sunday.  I plan to make a side dish, probably some Italian Au Grain potatoes that I love.  Here is the recipe I use for a medium size batch.

Italian Au Gratin Potatoes
four large Idaho baking potatoes
four large Yukon Gold potatoes
four large white regular potatoes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Asiago cheese
Olive oil (preferably in a mister)
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
NOTE: you can use your favorite cheeses if you like, for example, you can use Pepper Jack cheese if you like it more spicy!

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the potatoes thoroughly.  Gently slice all of them very thinly with a mandolin (be careful!).
3. Spray a 13X9 glass baker with Pam or other non-stick coating.
4. Put a single layer of one of the potato types (leave them a little moist from the washing), lightly misting some olive oil, and put a little cheese, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  LIGHTLY means just that as you will have several layers!
5. Repeat step 4 with the other two types of potatoes, then repeat the layers until the baking dish is almost full.  Do not put any cheese on top.  It will hold up very well since we have to bake this for a while.
6.  Cover the baker with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
7.  Check to see if the potatoes are done by gently poking a fork in the middle.  You can tell if the potatoes are done or a little raw yet.  Bake for another fifteen minutes, covered, then test again.
8.  After the potatoes seem tender, add a top layer of cheese, the recover with foil.  You don't have to bake it any longer to melt the top layer of cheese.

Let set a few minutes before serving.  This travels well if you have a hot/cold travel carrier for your baking dish.  Enjoy!

Other Stuff
I got off work a little early yesterday.  I piddled around the house a little, then took a nap.  I had a QVR class before going to choir practice.  I am excited about the Festival of Hymns we are doing on the 22nd!

I also had a nice talk with mi tigre.  We hadn't talked in a few days.  We both had stories...

I am excited about Friday night!  I will be working on my home theater!  Woohooo!

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment