Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What's in a name?

Our Daily Bread
What is your name?  Have you ever looked it up to see what it means?  "Duane" means "strong, trustworthy".  It can also mean "dark skinned or swarthy".  That last definition is lost on my lily white body!

It was customary in ancient Israel for the father to name a child at birth.  In the cases of John the Baptist and Jesus, angels told the fathers what to name their sons.  It was traumatic and confusing for everyone around!

The point of the devotion is that the angel told the father to name our Lord, Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.  A Savior.  A Messiah!  Praise God!

Lord, thank you for a strong and trustworthy name!  Thank you for sending Jesus, the name above all names!

Teaching Tuesday
We read the book of Romans this week.  I forgot how many memorable verses there are in that book!  Our text mentioned that Martin Luther called Romans "the purest form of the Gospel".  Here are some of my favorite verses (from the Romans road...)
Romans 3:23
Romans 8:28

Read over Romans when you get a chance. Since it was written by Paul, it also has that confusing "Paul-speak" at times.  Whew...  My commentary said the references to homosexuality really mean that he condemns any kind of life that promotes sexual immorality.  Gay men and college men are considered by many the epitome of sexual immorality!  Paul does not commend a homosexual who lives a chaste life alone or lives in a committed relationship.  Very cool.

Other Stuff
I worked til 5:00, then went to the cross fit gym for a workout.  I was really tired after my Bowflex routine in the morning and then working all day.  Whew.  I got through the workout, surprising myself and the instructor!  ;-)

I went to Giant Eagle Market District to pick up some wine, but they were out of my favorite.  I ordered some.  It should be in on Wednesday.  I hate to make another trip over there, but I want to take some to St Louis with me.  ;-)  I got home in time to pack my clothes for my trip.  I still need to pack medicine and stuff.  I only had time to read one chapter of Mockingjay before succumbing to sleep.  Sleep is good....

I have a gig with the Nationaires tonight after work.  Some friends are meeting for dinner afterwards.  Cool.

Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment