Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rest in peace

Our Daily Bread
No, not that kind of "rest in peace", I mean rest in peace as we are living!

I got two things out of the devotional.  First, rest.  Rest is good.  Rest is needed for us to be the kind of folks we need to be for God.  Are you getting enough rest?  Sleep?  Relaxation?  Other things besides work and work and work?

Second, peace.  When we rest (and when we are busy), we need to focus on peace.  Peace of mind that our minds are pure and thinking about God.  Peace of heart that we know we are growing in the grace of God.  Peace of body that our bodies are getting the care they need to be healthy.  Peace, peace, peace.

Lord, help us find peace in rest and rest in peace!

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 43 is a very short psalm, but there is a lot packed in there!  It is an express version of the psalm formula God-has-forsaken-me-please-help-me-I-will-continue-to-praise-you-anyway pattern.  I love the way the psalmist turns the "why have you forsaken me" kind of stuff quickly into "you are my stronghold" and "your faithful care".  Once again, please read this out loud!


Psalm 43

 1 Vindicate me, my God,
   and plead my cause
   against an unfaithful nation.
Rescue me from those who are
   deceitful and wicked.
2 You are God my stronghold.
   Why have you rejected me?
Why must I go about mourning,
   oppressed by the enemy?
3 Send me your light and your faithful care,
   let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain,
   to the place where you dwell.
4 Then I will go to the altar of God,
   to God, my joy and my delight.
I will praise you with the lyre,
   O God, my God.
 5 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
   Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
   for I will yet praise him,
   my Savior and my God.


Other Stuff
I had a busy day on Saturday.  I ran some errands including picking up shirts, going to Walmart, Meijer and Giant Eagle, and a quick stop at Costco.  I decided to buy a new Bluray player for the basement.  The old one couldn't play some of the newer Bluray disks.  ;-(  I got a great deal on a Bluray with wireless networking at Costco.  Woohoooo!

I figured out that I can't mount me projector in the basement because I bought the wrong kind of ceiling mount.  I boxed up the old and and ordered the new, correct one.  I will work on mounting the screen when I get a chance this week.  I also got some more clean up done yesterday in the basement.  I decided to buy a microwave stand if I can find what I want.  I don't like the shelf I have it sitting on right now.  It is too big and bulky.

I finished off the evening with the CMTO tennis social.  I played tennis for about 3 hours, fortunately it was all doubles.  I was using a COMPLETELY different set of muscles than my other workouts!  I was so tired and sore when I got done.  Whew!  I stretched out then drove home.  I did some more stretching and took some of my recovery supplements (the ones that help me not get sore after exercise).  I feel much better this morning.  Whew!  I am going to take it easy today.

I need to pick up the potatoes for my dinner group side dish for tonight.  I am looking forward to seeing the gang.  ;-)

Funny story: I got a phone call from mi tigre when I was in the Meijer store yesterday.  I wasn't thinking after the call and scanned my key chain card.  It didn't work.  The attendant come over to help.  Apparently this silly bear tried to scan his Giant Eagle card at Meijer and wondered why it didn't work!  DOH!  It was humbling and gave us both a good laugh.  I also shared that with some friends for another humbling laugh at myself.

God is so good.  My prayer is that you find the rest, peace and joy in your life that only God can give.

Let go, my friends.  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment