Saturday, November 24, 2012

No doesn't have to hurt

Our Daily Bread
Yes, I am a stubborn old bear.  I guess I have always been a stubborn person.  I am fortunate that my friends are patient with me, though sometimes they have to ask me the question "What part of "no" don't you understand?"  ha!  I think it is both letters combined and spoken that I don't get!  ;-0

How many times has God told you "no"?  If you are as stubborn and independently-minded as me, you hear "no" a LOT!  Yikes!  Yes, I hear those two letters in my head more times that I like to admit.  I don't like to admit it because I feel like I am not being the kind of man God wants me to be if he has to tell me no.  I guess there is some pride there that I should know better by now.  The fact is we are always growing and improving our relationship to God.  There are points where we need to really understand "NO" and live our lives accordingly.

What part of "no" are you not understanding today?  Please read the Simply Saturday entry below for more insights.

Lord, you have our best interests in mind even when we can't see them.  Please help us have faith in your plans for us.  Please forgive our unbelief!

Simply Saturday
What does "no" really mean?
Once again, it never ceases to amaze me how the Our Daily Bread devotional site speaks to me in such a timely manner.  I had no idea what I was going to write about this morning until I read the devotional.  God is leading me to expand on the topic of "no".

A friend of mine posted something like this on Facebook:
God answers prayers in three ways:
Yes.
Not now.
No, I have something better in mind.

I really like that!  How can you tell the difference between the three?  Figuring out the "yes" answer can be challenge at times because we may not understand how God is saying yes.  For example, we may ask God to help us with our financial situation.  In our simple minds, we are thinking "I need to win the lottery".  ha!  God has other ideas that accomplish the same answered prayer, but in a way that is the best for us in the long run.  It is not always easy to see.  I hate not winning the lottery!  ;-p

The "Not now" answer and the "No, I have something better in mind" are even more difficult.  This is has been my big struggle regarding a situation in my life.  God has been trying to tell me "No, I have something better in mind", but I wanted to hear "Not now".  Why is the "Not now" answer not the right answer for me? I learned that if I got what I asked for, whether now or later, that I would never be the kind of man God wanted me to be.  Wow!  I could never really admit that to myself for several reasons I won't go into here.

So what do you do when you hear "No, I have something better in mind"?  Trust.  Pray. Have faith that God knows what he is doing.  Keep doing the things that God is leading you to do.  Continue to be the person God wants you to be.  A song that has become one of my favorites when I am dealing with my "No, I have something better in mind" periods is While I'm waiting by John Waller.  Check out the lyrics.

Have faith, my friends.  Here is a verse that has become a new favorite:
Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?” John 11:40

**********************************************

When God says no to our request, we can be sure it’s for the best.
- Our Daily Bread, November 24, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment