Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A perty little butterfly...

Our Daily Bread
I don't know how many of us have said at one time or another: I am a caterpillar -- God isn't done making me a butterfly yet!  OK, maybe I around with a different kind of friends that you do!  ha!  If you live in or around Columbus, Ohio, please visit the butterflies at the Franklin Park Conservatory.  Amazing!

The example in the devotional is a beautiful one -- the miracle of a butterfly.  I have always marveled that the butterfly.  The way it transforms from humble beginnings into a work of art, each one unique.  I admire the determination of the butterfly to migrate thousands of miles each year.  Wow!  I admire the way such a humble creature can do so many amazing things!

We should be humbled in that we are capable of so much more than the little butterfly.  Are we trying to live up to our potential?  Are we performing our God-given tasks using our God-given abilities?  God is so good.    He makes our lives complete with we follow him!

Lord, thank  you for creating the miracle of the butterfly.  Please work your miracles in us!

Teaching Tuesday
I started my new book over the weekend.  I read almost half of it.  It is a sllooowwww read because it is very intense.  It is fascinating to me, so I am trying to take it slow.  I will have to read and study it for a while to get it all.  The book is A Pilgrimage in Faith by Franklin Ferguson.  It is about the Episcopal church and approach to faith.

Here are a couple of my favorite passages so far:
In speaking about 1 John 1:1-3:
Here we can see that the meaning of Jesus, the truth that was in and of him, is not a truth which lies at the end of theological studies or the psychology and sociology of religious phenomenon.  It is truth discovered in community with those who bear the tradition of proclaiming him.

In speaking about the church:
A recent Gallup poll reveals that, while a high percentage of people believe in God, the majority of those who have dropped out of church believe that, as an institution, it is unimportant, primarily because of its preoccupation with nonspiritual concerns.

Wow!  Some great stuff!  I am blessed and challenged to read and study this.  There is a lot to learn even if you aren't planning to become Episcopalian!

******************************
Here is a meditation/chant I use when I need to focus on God:
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, I love you, I trust you, I thank you, I praise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment