Monday, July 22, 2013

Shopaholic

Our Daily Bread
"Hello, my name is Duane and I am a shopaholic"  Well, I am not quite that bad, but I do like to shop a lot!  I love finding great deals on things I need and that my friends need.  My turning point was one day when I looked at my closet and noticed that I bought two of the same shirts!  It is a very nice shirt, but I don't need two of them  I am more careful now and more disciplined about my spending.  I can do this (talking myself into it each day!).  ha!

The devotional was encouraging to me as I continue on this path to self-discipline.  How many of us keep pushing ourselves to work longer and harder just so we can have more "stuff"?  We sometimes trick ourselves into thinking that our friends and family need more stuff from us instead of spending time with them.  So giving of ourselves whether to friends or family or strangers, is the real goal of being a child of God.  Giving of our time and talents and resources to help those around us.  God is so good to us.  Let us be a blessing to others!

Lord, thank you for whatever blessings we have, whether we think we are really blessed or not.  Please help us give of ourselves.

Movie Monday
I got to see three movies last week.  woohoooo!  The rain kept me from  playing my tennis matches.  ;-(

Pacific Rim
I liked this movie.  It was a down to earth, robot banging, monster kicking 3D IMAX evening of fun!  It is not a mystery how the movie will turn out, so don't expect lots of plot twists.  The acting is cheesy at times with several quotable lines ("First, don't EVER touch me.  Second, don't EVER touch me!")  ha!  I thought the action and the 3D effects were pretty good.  I did not think they were overwhelming or too blurry like a lot of 3D IMAX movies.

I give this threee bear paws.  See it at the theater in 3D or 3D IMAX.  Go to a matinee when it is cheaper!

The Heat
I was not initially drawn to this movie when I saw the previews.  It looked like one where the funniest moments were in the previews!  I was wrong.  It was long at two hours, but it worked.  The comedy was pretty funny, though most of it was potty mouth humor from Melissa McCarthy.  In short, Melissa McCarthy plays a street-wise cop in Boston that teams up with Sandra Bullock, an FBI agent that is wound WAY too tight!  ha!  There is lots of "loosen up" humor and funny moments.

I give this one two bear paws.  It is definitely a rentable movie.  No need to see it at the theater.

Red 2
Most of my friends had not heard of Red, so they were surprised when I went to see Red 2.  "What is it about?"  RED stands for "retired, extremely dangerous".  It is about retired super spies that the different agencies don't really know what to do with.  I loved the first one.  I thought Bruce Willis was "Die Hard cool" in it.  The second one added some new characters which added a lot.  The humor interspersed throughout is a hoot.  It has lots of action, lots of humor and a smidgeon of love story mixed in.

I give it two bear paws.   It is definitely a rentable movie.  No need to see it at the theater.

**********************************
If we’re gonna pray about it
There’s no use in worrying
If we’re gonna worry about it
Why are we praying
Just leave it in the hands of the Father
Leave it in the hands of the Healer
Leave it in the hands of Jesus
And walk away
Walk away   -- Brandon Heath & Thad Cockrell

No comments:

Post a Comment