Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pressure packed

Our Daily Bread
My friends and I had several jokes about coal and diamonds when I was a teenager and in college.  "I am not just a piece of coal, but I am just a diamond in the rough" we would say.  A common retort was "And it will take centuries to turn you into a diamond!"  Or, "here is a bucket of diamonds (coal), go get me a sandwich!"   Oh boy!

Unfortunately, there are some processes that can't be accelerated.  No matter how much we want to spare ourselves or someone we love from heartache or pain, we must all experience things for ourselves.  I know I have seen friends go through immense pressure.  I have been through a lot of pressure the past six years.  It happens.  The thing I know is: God is with us.  Turn those things over to him.  Trust him.  Praise him.  Circumstances can't dictate our peace and joy!

Lord, thank you for counting us worthy to be tried by fire and pressure.  Please help us shed the dross and give more of ourselves over to you!

Teaching Tuesday
Surprised by Joy - CS Lewis: installment one
I read about a third of this book in the last week.  It is not as intense as the previous book, but it is not a quick read either.  He describes his early years at the beginning of the book.  I think I am into his early teen years now.  He had an interesting early life that contributed to his writing.  It seems like he has always been destined to write.

After reading the first part of this book and thinking about some things I learned in a seminar at work today, I plan to revisit my youth.  Understanding the things that made us who we are can offer us insight into how to be stronger.  I found that I have let some bad habits enter my life and I haven't dealt with them.  Bad duanebear!  To be clear, I am not bad, but like all humans, do bad things at times.

God is merciful and can give us joy when we develop our relationship with him.  Let us all pray for each other!

*******************************
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment