Saturday, July 27, 2013

Under the sea

Our Daily Bread
No, no, no, I am not talking about the Disney song!  ha!  I am thrilled and encouraged about the devotional this morning.  I read it after writing my Simply Saturday entry below.  God is soooo amazing in the way he speaks to us!  Praise God!

I have never heard of the book The Rules of Disengagement.  While the practical applications in every day life are intriguing, the spiritual application follows along with what I wrote below!  The first thing we should disengage from is our pet sins!  You know what I mean, right?  Those things that we know we are not supposed to do that we do anyway.  We feel bad about ourselves because we sinned.  We are embarrassed because we know we disobeyed God.  We are weighed down by these things.  Give them over to God.  Here is the source of the title of today's posting:  As one verse puts it, He throws our sin into the depths of the sea! (Micah 7:19)  Praise God!

Lord, "under the sea" is where you will throw our sins if we give them up to you!  We thank you and praise you!

Simply Saturday
Pet Sins
"I'm only huuu--man......  I'm just a ma-a-annnn......." is the first line of the song One Day at a Time (and you have to sing it the way I wrote it!  Ha!).  God reminded me again this week!

I admit that I have been feeling more than a little superior when talking to a close friend.  I know it is wrong of me.  I try to avoid it.  I guess it is a pet sin - that "Church Lady" superior dance that I do inside my head way too often.  BTW, that Church Lady episode is one of my favorites where she targets the Khardasians and Justin Bieber before ending in a superior dance.  ha!  But I digress...

While talking to the close friend, we were able to take our friendship to a new level and talk about some very personal things this week.  We had a couple of very good talks about things we never discussed before.  During those talks, I was surprised and humbled.  My friend has control over something in his life that I struggle with.  What the heck?  I am the superior one here! <>  What the heck?  
God used the close friend to remind me that each of his children has their gifts and talents.  He gave me advice on the techniques and habits he uses to control this part of his life, which included surrendering it completely to God.  He gets tempted each and every day.  He still keeps true to his promise to God.

God also reinforced that he instructed me to have the same discipline.  If you are like me, you can be very, very disciplined in many areas of your life, but we can have "pet sins" that we allow ourselves to continue on a regular basis.  The World may even tell us it is OK.  We know differently because the Holy Spirit told us in our prayers and Bible study.

Let us pray for each other to humbly walk with God and to do our best to sin no more.  One day at a time...

***************************
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment