Tuesday, October 5, 2010

But are they real?

Our Daily Bread
Are you happy with your lot in life? Are you happy with where your life is going? Today's devotional talks about the travels of the astronauts from the first moon walk. Their travels sounded out of this world! Sorry, that was too easy to pass up! But I digress... While their travels may seem like an entirely different way of life to you, you do have choices. You can pick a path that is appropriate for you.

Jesus did that for us. He started in heaven at the right hand of God. Geez, and I hate getting out from under my warm covers these cold mornings! I couldn't imagine leaving heaven! Jesus chose to travel through a human life on his way to the cross and then back up to heaven. As Bugs Bunny used to say "It looks like we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!" It was not a wrong turn for Christ. It was a choice he made for us. We can trust and live in that choice each day if we chose. What will your choice be today?

Lord, let me chose an abundant life to live, wherever that life takes me. Show me the way as the GPS for my life!

Wee-way-shun-ship Wednesday
But are they real?
This week's entry is about friendship. Specifically online "friendships" from chat sites and social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. The question is -- "Are they real?" It is hard to say. Here are my observations. You welcome to your own opinions. I strong recommend you form your own!

What is real and what is not...
How do you know what is real and what is not? I have acquaintances that have at least two different Facebook accounts (though you are not supposed to do that). They have one for the "real" person for friends and family. They have another "surreal" account for meeting people they would not normally meet. I also have folks that flat out lied on their profile on Facebook (and chat sites also). So how do you know what is real and who is being honest? Be careful who you accept as your friends! You know close friends and family. Start there. You might know acquaintances from high school or college. Be selective there. One friend told a prospective high school acquaintance "You didn't talk to me in high school. Why do you want to talk to me now?" hehehe I had a less than positive experience with friends from the small Christian college I attended. Most didn't know I was gay until they became my friend on Facebook. Most didn't talk to me again. Some talked behind my back. Be careful.

Hold on to what is real...
Once you identify who is real, hold on to them! I deleted all my online accounts about a year ago. I obtained the email addressed and/or phone numbers of the folks that were "keepers". We still keep in contact today. One college friend that didn't reject me has become one of my closest friends (28 years after we were roommates for a semester in college!). Hold on to what is real.

Why be careful? If one of your friends sees that "Joe Blow" is your friend, whether real or not, she may also befriend the person. That may not be a good thing.

Don't forget real people...
It is more convenient to send electronic messages at your leisure than dealing with the busy schedules of you, your friends and your family. That convenience has a price -- you don't get real interaction with folks! Face to face conversation is something that is learned and developed. You can't do it online! Don't make all of your interactions virtual. If you want to get real people, be a real person!

My recommendation (for what it is worth)
Be careful. Be safe. Be yourself. Be real. Don't assume that since you are real that everyone you chat with online is real. That is naive. There are few repercussions for folks that hurt people online. Be careful. Did I mention that? ;-) If you really want to meet people, then go to places where there are people that have similar interests. Be yourself. If you are yourself, then you know the person is attracted and interested in you -- not some persona or fantasy you made up.

Other Stuff
Had another long day at the office yesterday, then went to the hospital to visit a friend. I was supposed to sit with his apartment after his surgery. The doctors decided to keep him overnight for observation after he had some minor complications (I don't think any complications are minor....) He is feeling OK. He may get to go home today.

I stopped by O'Charley's on my way home for supper. My favorite server took great care of me again. He really tries to make me happy and help me relax. Sometimes I wish he wasn't straight, engaged and 26 years old! I love it when a handsome Puerto Rican man brings me food! hehehe

I decided to go right to bed when I got home. I have another long day today. The great news is that I may have figured out some problems that have plagued my coworker and I the past two months. Woohooooo!

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment