Saturday, October 16, 2010

He said what?

Our Daily Bread
Today's devotional is about speaking for God. This may sound simple, but it can be very difficult to speak only what God has said without any interpretation or twisting of the message to our own desires. How many times have we seen modern day "prophets" or self-appointed people of God fall on their face or lead people astray with their own version of what God says? God will not bless those people.

I have had friends that followed those folks over the years. I see the looks of betrayal when their beloved leader falls. The best we can do is to pray for these folks that they see and speak the truth of God -- hopefully before someone gets hurt.

Lord, I want to always speak your message the way you intended. Please help me not "edit" your message for my purposes!

Simply Saturday
I said something about "adapting" the ten virtues of a virtuous woman from Proverbs 31 into the ten virtues of "virtuous folks". God, please forgive me if this is a sin, but I don't like the way the women are generally depicted in the Bible. That topic is whole 'nother party I will write about sometime.

So here is my take on the ten virtues. I am referencing this web site for the outline and adapting the text. Here is goes:

10 Virtues of Godly Folks
I want to encourage everyone to serve God in every aspect of their lives:

1. Faith - Virtuous folks serve God with all of their hearts, minds, and souls. They seek His will for their lives and follows His ways.

2. Marriage – Virtuous folks respect their spouses or partners. They do them good all the days of their lives. They are trustworthy and a helpmeet.

3. Parenting/Role model - Virtuous folks teach children the ways of our Father in heaven. They nurture children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go.

4. Health – Virtuous folks care for their bodies. They prepare healthy food for themselves and their families.

5. Service - Virtuous folks serve their spouse or partner, their families, their friends, and their neighbors with a gentle and loving spirit. They are charitable.

6. Finances - Virtuous folks seek their spouse's or partner's approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. They are careful to purchase quality items that their families need.

7. Industry – Virtuous folks work willingly with their hands. They praise God and do not grumble while completing their tasks.

8. Hospitality – Virtuous folks are hospitable. They create an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for their families and guests. They use hospitality to minister to those around them.

9. Time - Virtuous folks use their time wisely. They work diligently to complete their daily tasks. They do not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord.

10. Beauty – Virtuous folks are people of worth and beauty. They have the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. They use their creativity and sense of style to create beauty in their lives and the lives of their loved ones.

God gave this idea to me and helped me adapt it for all Godly folks. Please put this someplace where you can read it each day.

Other Stuff
I have a fun and relaxing weekend planned. I went to the movies last night. I LOVE going to the movies except for my weakness for buttery, salty popcorn. ;-( I soooooo don't need to eat that much popcorn! I gave up Hoho's. I don't have to give up popcorn, however, I should eat less of it! I will review the movies on Movie Monday.

I am having meals with two friends today -- lunch with my ex (we were together for 11.5 years) and supper with the man who is the closest thing I have had to an ex since that breakup. The former is in town for the marathon. Run, Forest, run! ;-) I nicknamed the latter Ying in one of my earlier posts. I am looking forward to seeing him.

I plan to cheer on some friends for the half and full marathon tomorrow, go to church, and get ready for my dinner group tomorrow night. I posted the recipes I am making for appetizers. How fun!

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment