Thursday, October 14, 2010

You are in good hands...

Our Daily Bread
You are in good hands -- with a wife of noble character! Sorry, Allstate! ;-) This scripture not only applies to women, though it is often used as a guide to what a good wife should be. I might have to modernize this sometime. I may also write a version for gay men. ;-) Let's call it a "virtuous person"! hehehe

Here is a summary of the characteristics from this web site that notes ten virtues in this scripture passage: faith, marriage, mothering, health service, finances, industry, homemaking, time and beauty. We can change "mothering" to "parenting" and maybe "beauty" to "attractiveness" to make this list fit both sexes. It really does apply to both sexes as the devotional implies! Take a look. I will try to write a modern version sometime soon. ;-)

I have to admit that I don't agree with what I perceive as the degradation of women in the Old Testament. Please do not think I am condoning this message in any way, shape or form!

Lord, I want to be a virtuous person having the characteristics listed in Proverbs 31:10-20. Thank you for your strength and guidance.

Technology Thursday
I am writing about home computer networks for Technology Thursday. In short, a network enables data, sent as "packets", to be shared between multiple computers or devices. They are becoming more prevalent in homes as there are more and more devices that can use them in addition to computers -- gaming systems, printers, phones, tablet devices, home security systems, etc. Let's take a quick look at the different types of home networks.

Wired networks
There was a time that a home network was always wired! There was no such thing as a wireless network, if you can imagine that! Wired networks require you to run a network cable between each computer via an ethernet port and the hub or switch. The hub or switch is then connected to the Internet connection device like a DSL modem or cable modem. There are currently three speeds: 10mb, 100mb and 1000 mb (also known as gigabit) ethernet. Ethernet wired networks are the most common wired networks as the other types of wired networks went out of vogue many years ago due the technical superiority of an ethernet network. Some modern homes are designed with the cables and outlets built into the walls. Very cool. Wired networks are the most stable kind of networks. While the ethernet cables can suffer from packet degradation due to some electrical interference, you don't have to worry about that very much.

Wireless networks
A wireless network is as its name suggests -- wireless. You don't need the ethernet cable to run to each computer or device. The data is transported over the air using a specific protocol in the 802x family of protocols. There are several kinds of wireless networks -- a, b, g and n, each with its advantages and disadvantages. The most commonly sold now in computer stores are g and n. They are the two fastest wireless technologies. Many computers and devices support all four. Some only support two or three. I usually look for a computer or laptop or device that supports the wireless n standard because it is the fastest and what I have in my home. Wireless n also has the widest range of the standards. It should be noted that only g and n wireless networks compare in speed to wired networks! While a n wireless network can be faster than a 100mg wired network, there is nothing on the wireless network market at this time that offers the speed of a gigabit wired network.

The problems with wireless networks can be interference or a dropped signal. Interference can come from cordless phones and microwave ovens and some other electrical devices like large power strips. Dropped signals can happen for many reasons (it is wireless for goodness sake!).

There are many Internet service providers that offer a wireless network router with free setup when you subscribe to their service. That is the easiest way to go. Most of the security you need to set up is already done for you.

Please be sure to secure your wireless network or other folks can piggyback on your Internet connections! ;-)

Wired via your electrical outlets
Lesser known and used is the wired network that uses the electrical wiring in your house to transfer data. This approach doesn't require you to run the ethernet cable all over the house. You can plug in a special adapter in an electrical outlet, then plug the ethernet cable into the adapter and your computer. Some folks have great success with this, especially if they live in a newer house with modern wiring. Other folks do not fare as well.

A home network is a great way to share a fast Internet connection with multiple computers and devices. I love sitting in my club chair surfing college football scores on my iPad while watching college football games on Saturday afternoon! ;-) It is very handy. I highly recommend it!

Other Stuff
Another busy day at work...blah, blah, blah. The great news is that I am working through every impedance we have faced for one of my big projects. Woohooooo! It has been a team effort that has been rewarding and fun. I am getting a few things done on the other big project, but not as much as what I want. I will keep plugging away at it

We had another great session in our Disciple 2 class tonight. Great job, R, in leading the class while J was out! Thank you! We get a two week break from our readings to watch and discuss the movie The Ten Commandments as we start our study of Exodus. Very cool. We talked about the themes of patience and trusting God that run through the book of Genesis. God, I want to trust and be patient for your will to work in me. You know that is not always easy for me.

I volunteered for two sessions in the kitchen for the Walk to Emmaus next weekend. That should be fun. I plan to stick around for the service that night. It will be nice seeing some of my Emmaus family.

I plan to make some cookies for the fall play presentation this weekend. I hope I don't eat too many of them before they make it to church. ;-p

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment