Friday, October 15, 2010

How will they hear?

Our Daily Bread
As church folks, we have a tendency to rely on our ministers to do a lot of the evangelism work. Isn't it their job to tell the good news? Isn't that what we pay them for? Well, we pay them very little for all the things that they do!

Today's devotional talks about evangelism, or telling others about God, being the responsibility of ALL believers in Christ. ALL means ALL. Did I mention ALL? hehehe

God has been working on me about telling others the past few months. Actually he has been working on me for years, but I didn't really pay attention until recently (God, please forgive me!). Those of you who know me will say I am not shy. I can talk to anyone. Why am I not putting that gift to better use than flirting with handsome men? God wants me to use that shameless extrovertedness to his glory. I will try harder.

Lord, help each of us discover how we can share you with others. We aren't all extroverts, but we all have talents that we can use to share your love.

Foodie Friday
The recipes for the rest of this months will be for Halloween food. Woohooooo! I have to make some appetizers for my dinner group on Sunday. I did some research about recipes and found several cute ones. Here are the two I decided to use: mummy toes and salty bones. Eery! hehehe I plan to serve the Salty Bones with marinara sauce.

Salty Bones (link)
Ingredients
  • 1 tube of refrigerated breadstick dough (we used an 11-ounce tube to make 12 bones)
  • Coarse salt (used my Sea Salt grinder)
Instructions
  1. Unroll a tube of refrigerated breadstick dough and separate the rectangular pieces.

  2. Working with one piece at a time, stretch the dough to lengthen it a bit and then use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut a 11/2-inch slit in the center of each end.

  3. Roll or shape the resulting four flaps of dough into knobs that look like the ends of a bone.

  4. Place the dough bones on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them a few inches apart, and sprinkle on a little coarse salt. Bake the bones until they are light golden brown, about 12 minutes.

Mummy toes (link)

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package cocktail sausages
  • 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
  • toothpicks
  • 1/4 cup ketchup, for garnish
  • 1/4 cup mustard, for garnish

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Make a small slit into one end of each cocktail wiener to resemble a toenail. Cut the tortillas into strips 4 inches long by 1 inch wide, and place onto a microwave safe plate. Cook the tortillas in the microwave a few seconds until pliable. Wrap each sausage with a strip of tortilla, and secure with a toothpick. Make sure the toenail side is sticking out. Place the mummy toes onto the prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool slightly. Place a squirt of ketchup or mustard where the wedge is to resemble a bloody toenail, or of course an infected toenail. Serve to unsuspecting guests.


Other Stuff
I was a busy bear last night. I have been cooking a lot this week. What is up with that? ;-) I ate some of the chili I made on Tuesday night. It was sort of hot and very tasty.

I made five dozen cookies for the church play weekend and delivered those to church. I had to stop by work and pick up my Blackberry. I forgot it when I left yesterday.

I experimented with the Salty Bones and Mummy toes recipes. I made some marshmallow treats with Cocoa Krispies. The didn't turn out as well as what I wanted. I hadn't made them in a long time and took a short cut that didn't work out. ;-(

I changed the sheets on my bed and hit the sack early. I was tired from not sleeping well the night before.

I plan to see the movie Secretariat after work. I will see how that goes.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...


No comments:

Post a Comment