Sunday, October 3, 2010

Let us break bread together...if we may

Our Daily Bread
The devotional today talks about communion and the observance of World Communion Day. Most folks in the US take this religious observance for granted. We practice it on the first Sunday of each month at my church. We used to observe it the first Sunday of each quarter at other churches. Some observe it each week. The point of the observation is finding joy and strength in the sacrifice that Jesus made for us all and sharing that with a group of believers.

One of my most meaningful observances of this sacrament was when I visited Israel my senior year in college (yes, I can remember back that far). We had communion on the site of the Lord's tomb. Very meaningful if you can imagine.

Lord, let us not take communion for granted. Help us listen, learn and find joy and strength in your sacrifice.

My Sunday Friend
My Sunday friend is my Walking buddy. We started walking with a mutual friend about a year ago. When the mutual friend couldn't walk with us any more, we decided to continue our walking at the Convention Center a few times per week as our schedules allowed. We were walking very consistently until the past few weeks when both of our schedules went nuts. We are not as structured now, but still make an effort to walk together when we can.

During the walking, we talked and became close friends. We talk about her husband and her daughter. We talk about my dates (or lack of them) and what is going in my life. We also try to help each other any way we can. I took her to Costco a few times. She and her husband had me over to their house for my birthday. That was very sweet. Friends can come in all shapes and sizes if we just open ourselves to the possibilities. Thank you, my walking buddy, for being a special part of my life.

Other Stuff
Yikes! I have a nasty sinus headache this morning. Ouch! Yes, I would like some cheese with that whine... ;-) I am dressed and ready to drive to church.

I had a busy, but nice day yesterday. Work was work... Check that off my To Do list... Watching the Buckeyes game, as scary as it was, was fun at Score. Check... I am getting to know some more folks from the Pride group at work. Very cool. I walked to and from Score to get my exercise in for the day. Check... I stopped by MicroCenter to pick up some memory and a hard drive for a computer I am rebuilding. Check... I folded and put away my laundry. Check... Made a nice supper. Read my Disciple 2 assignments for the day. Check... Talked to some friends on the phone. Got to bed early... Whew...

Not sure what today will bring. I will remain upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment