Friday, October 22, 2010

Darn tree huggers...

The devotional today talks about learning from the mighty Redwood trees in California. I hate to admit it, but I am not a nature person. I am allergic to nature. ;-( I try to enjoy the forests and fields and mountains -- usually while watching them on TV. hehehe I also admit that I am awe of God's creation.

The scripture passage from Isaiah was what I would call a "typical" passage from Isaiah. It is meaningful, but sort of repetitive throughout the book. I found one special verse that jumped out at me. It is funny how different verses do that at different times, isn't it? Isaiah 66:2 (New Living Translation) ends with: "I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at my word." Wow! In this "ME" world where my personal needs and getting ahead by putting number one first, this verse throws that mentality out the window! While it is OK to be proud of accomplishments and a well-loved life, keeping a humble and contrite heart is key to being a Godly person. Trembling at God's word like you were in a 3D IMAX version of the Bible listening to Him speak. No CGI (computer generated graphics) needed there!

So I guess I will be a darn tree hugger in my own silly way -- embracing the beauty of God's creation so I can tremble at his word and do my best to have a humble and contrite heart.

Lord, thank you for giving us this world. Thank you for reminding us each day of your glory in nature.

Foodie Friday
Here are some fun Halloween recipes for this week. Enjoy!

Mummy Meatloaf
Ingredients
Meatloaf from your favorite recipe (ours used about 2 pounds of meat)
American cheese
Olive slices

Instructions
Make your favorite meatloaf recipe and shape the loaf to resemble a mummy's body with crossed arms. Bake the loaf until it's cooked through.
Let it rest about 3 minutes, then lay 1-inch-wide strips of American cheese across the body as shown, leaving a narrow space on the head for the olive slice eyes. Trim any overhanging cheese with scissors and return the mummy to the still-warm oven to slightly melt the cheese, about 1 minute.

Check out this link to the recipe web site for a cute picture!

Swamp Creatures
Create a spooky Halloween supper with these cheesy critters, the perfect accompaniment for the Mummy Meatloaf.
Ingredients
Macaroni and cheese
Sautéed spinach
Olive slices

Instructions
Mix up a batch of macaroni and cheese, then spoon it into greased muffin cups and bake until firm, about 25 minutes.
Let the creatures rest for about 10 minutes, then gently remove them from the tins. Place them upside down on a swamp of sautéed spinach and add olive slice eyes.

Here is the link to the recipe and a picture.

Other Stuff
I worked on cleaning and straightening up my basement last night. A buddy came over to help me. We got it all put back together after the cleaning. I hadn't moved all the shelves and storage boxes back in place after removing them from the path of water in my basement a few weeks ago. The basement is dry. I am relieved. ;-) My buddy and I also had dinner and talked. That was nice.

Tonight will be fun. I am taking a friend out for his birthday, then we are going to the Capital Pride Band concert. I enjoy their concerts.

I made some progress at work yesterday. Very nice progress. Progress is good. ;-)

Still don't understand what the dream about the "For Good" song means. I will be patient so the giver of dreams can intepret it for me. Patience is good. I wish I was better at it! hehehe

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment