Thursday, October 21, 2010

Where do you go?

Our Daily Bread
Where do you go during times of adversity? When you feel the need to be "safe"? The home of your parents? Church? The apartment of a close friend? We all have our physical places. The folks in Biblical times looked to a "strong tower" as their safest physical place. Masada, a place I visited while I was in college, is an example of a safe place.

We all have our "things" that we run to. Food (don't even get me started on Hoho's and other comfort food!). Drink. Drugs. Sexual immorality. Lots of things can seem to give us comfort during these times, but they aren't real and they are fleeting at best. This is similar to how the scripture describes people who rely on their wealth for safety.

The point of the devotional is that we need to run to God during these times. God is our refuge. This is hard to understand, especially at times when we are unsafe physically. I can only think how lives would have been changed or saved if all of the gay teens had turned to God instead of killing themselves. We all need to reach out more to tell others about God's love and grace.

Lord, you are my refuge is not a cliche that I only use at church. I want you to be my refuge in every way every day of my life. I thank you and praise you.

Technology Thursday
I am writing about the new smartphone from RIM (Research in Motion), the company that makes Blackberry devices. The new phone, out of a few weeks now, is called the BlackBerry Torch. Let's look at some of the features.

Style: The Torch is a hybrid of sorts. It is a touch screen phone with a slider keyboard. The keyboard is OK, but not the best for big fingers or thumbs. The keys are a little close together (not as roomy as the Curve or Bold). It is not horrible. I could use it. I have to admit I am spoiled by the touchscreen keyboard on my iPhone. ;-)

OS: RIM come out with BBOS (BlackBerry operating system) 6 for the Torch. I saw a preview of the OS in May at their WES convention. It is not bad. I don't like the folders feature as well as some other phones and devices, but it works fine. There is true multi-tasking that has a nice interface for switching between apps.

Wifi: The Torch offers wifi capability, which is cool.

Web browser: BBOS 6 offers a new web browser for BlackBerry devices that is very similar to a real browser. Previous versions of the BBOS had a lame web browser that was not easy to use or was not fast at all. The only good thing about the browser is that the BlackBerry server design actually compresses the data traffic to make it bearable. Cool.

Service: ATT is the exclusive carrier for the Torch. Hmmmm. Nothing against ATT, but I would have preferred they continue expanding their network for the iPhone before taking on another exclusive phone. Oh well.

Visit an ATT store today to see a Torch if you are looking for a new smartphone. The Torch is a worthy upgrade from any of the previous BlackBerry devices, especially the lame Storm devices. Yikes!

While talking with some folks from RIM the past few months, I gave my opinion of the difference between the BlackBerry devices and the iPhone: "The iPhone is part of my life. The BlackBerry is just a device". They didn't like that. Oh well.

UPDATE: Apple announced the new MacBook Air laptops yesterday. The technology is cool. I am disappointed that the prices are so high. $999 for an 11" netbook? Really? I can get an HP with a solid state drive for almost half that. Oh well.

Other Stuff
I had a nice time having dinner with my new buddy last night. It was nice being able to talk to him about stuff. It is nice having platonic friends. We will hang out or text again soon.

We watched the first half of The Ten Commandments in our D2 class. I need to read the story in Exodus before next week. There are lots of details I have forgotten since I haven't read it in a long time.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a weird feeling. "Some-thing has changed within me..." That song kept going through my head. I am praying about what this all means. I hope I have been changed for the better AND changed for good. I will write more as I understand more.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...


No comments:

Post a Comment