Friday, October 29, 2010

A can of worms...

Our Daily Bread
Today's devotional opens a can of worms for me. Is the Bible infallible? Is it really God's inspired word written down by many folks over many centuries? Why hasn't there been more books added to it since the New Testament was written?

Here are my beliefs for what they are worth. Let's agree to disagree if you believe differently. ;-) I do believe that the Bible is God's infallible word. I don't believe that men have always translated its language the best for the different translations of the Bible, causing hermeneutic inconsistencies (Duane learned a BIG word in D2 class!). Hermeneutic inconsistencies are when different parts of the Bible seem to contradict themselves. I fully believe 2 Timothy 3:17 -- "God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work."

That being said, please consider these things. We should not "restrict" God to the writings of the Bible! One passage says that the skies above could not hold all the writings of the glory of God! Yet we try to restrict him to that one little book! Second, don't just read about God. Have a relationship with him and experience him for yourself. Don't let your faith be observation only -- take part! Lastly, I recommend concentrating on the important concepts in the Bible instead of picking apart all the complicated details in books like Revelations. Love, tell others about God, and be the best child of God you can be are good places to start!

Lord, thank you for your holy word. Please use it in our lives to help us do every good work!

Foodie Friday
Here are two more Halloween recipes. Working on these inspired some friends to be more creative. The eye ball deviled eggs I saw yesterday were a hoot!

Witches Hats (link)
32 Hershey's® Kisses® brand milk chocolates, unwrapped
1 package (11 1/2 ounces) fudge-striped shortbread cookies (32)
1 tube (4.25 ounces) orange or red decorating icing

1. Attach 1 chocolate candy to chocolate bottom of each cookie, using decorating icing.
2. Pipe decorating icing around base of milk chocolate candy.

Special Touch
Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a shallow bowl. Make a face with miniature chocolate chips and decorator candies; top with a Witches' Hat. Quick, eat the witch before she melts!

Substitution
You can use any 1 1/2- to 2 1/2-inch chocolate or chocolate-covered cookies instead of the shortbread cookies.

Witches Finger Cookie Recipe

Yield: 5 dozen

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup Butter, softened
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 tsp Almond extract
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 cups Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 3/4 cup whole Almonds, blanched
  • 2 squares of melting chocolate, or chocolate bark

Combine the sugar, egg, butter, almond extract, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix in the flour, and salt. Cover and refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes, or until it’s firm.

When you’re ready to shape the cookies, only take out a small portion of the dough at a time. Shape the cookies into fingers by rolling and working with your hands. Score the top of the cookie with a knife or spatula to make it look like the wrinkles in your knuckle. Press an imprint into the tip of the cookie with your finger to make a spot for the almond finger nail. Press an almond into the tip of each finger to look like a fingernail.

Placed on a cooking sheet lightly coated with no-stick cooking spray and bake at 325` for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies are a very light golden brown. Let the cookies cool on a drying rack.

Use melting chocolate to go around the outside of the almond nail, giving a ghoulish appearance. Just melt the chocolate, put it in an icing piping bag, and cut a very small hole in the tip. Then pipe around the nail.

If you use red melting chocolate the look will be even more dramatic, you can also make small drops of chocolate blood, or chocolate cuts on the cookies if you really want to gross out your guests.

The witches finger cookies will make great party treats, but you can also bundle them up in a decorative container and use them for your Halloween party favors.

Other Stuff
I had a BUSY night last night. I ran to Costco right after work to pick up some stuff for my trip to Wooster on Saturday and pick up my Halloween candy. I made it home in time to eat some supper and setup my meager Halloween decorations. ;-) They turned out nice. The kids seemed to love them.

I handed out candy in my favorite way. I sat out on my portico (breeze way) surrounded by my meager decorations and greeted the kids personally. I had a whole new batch of little ones this year! Most of the kids that were little when I moved here are teenagers now! Wow, how time flies! One little boy couldn't contain his excitement about my lighted pumpkins and yelled "I love your stuff!" hehehe I packed up the candy and folding chair about 7:40. There wasn't anyone on the street and it was COLD!

I gathered some stuff up for my trip to WJ tonight. I gathered some stuff up for my trip to Wooster on Saturday. I cleaned the kitchen and ran the dishwasher. I cleaned up a mess in the laundry room. Oh, yes, I had an overwhelming scent when I opened my front door last night when I got home from work. The large container of laundry detergent fell off the six foot high shelf and spilled all over the laundry room floor. I lost about half the very large container. I got it all cleaned up and washed the towels that I used to mop up the mess. Oh well. I made SURE that the container was firmly on the shelf last night!

I returned a few phone calls, then fell into bed. It was a nice night. I am looking forward to this weekend.

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment