Sunday, October 31, 2010

One sacrifice for all

Our Daily Bread
I have to admit that this week has been difficult for me with the devotionals. Several of the topics have been controversial, at least in my belief system. Today's topic is also difficult for me.

I have never understood the concept of animal sacrifice for the absolution of sin. That also means I don't really understand the need for Jesus to die on the cross since he abolished the rites of animal sacrifice. Did God have to declare this method for making oneself right with Him?
After reading and studying more the past few years, I prayed about this a lot. I finally understood that these rites in the Old Testament times meant several things to God and to the people who were making the sacrifices. The first is similar to the topic from yesterday -- irreparable damage. Sacrificing an unblemished animal was a serious sacrifice for a serious offence -- sinning against God. Even those who couldn't afford a lamb or goat would give everything they had to purchase an unblemished dove so they could make their sacrifice. Sin is serious stuff. Disobeying God is serious stuff. The concept that something must die because of our sin is serious stuff.

In my belief system, God sending his only begotten son as our ultimate sacrifice is also serious stuff when I thought about it more. We NEVER have to offer an animal as a sacrifice again. Jesus offered that sacrifice for us. We have no excuse now. We can accept this sacrifice or refuse it. If you haven't accepted it already, please pray and do so today.

Lord, thank you for my limited understanding of your will and your ways. Thank you for our ultimate sacrifice.

Other Stuff
I had a nice visit with my family yesterday. My aunt is very sweet. I enjoy spending time with her. I had a nice afternoon with my mother. We went to see the movie Secretariat, then had dinner at the little Mexican restaurant not far away. She had to laugh at me staring at the cute server that waited on us. ;-p I couldn't help it that he was looking good in those jeans and was bending over the tables all over the place! hehehe Mom really appreciated the stuff I took for her. I am happy to share stuff with her to help her out.

I had a nice drive home, then did a few things around the house before hitting the sack. I had to return a few phone calls and watch a little bit of the Buckeyes game before fading off into sleepy land. I kept waking up last night. No songs this time... hehehe I was able to go back to sleep each time.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment