Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ever watch "Hoarders"?

We have probably all heard of the show Hoarders on A&E. It is about people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of a personal crisis. As Christians, we are supposed to SHARE our belongings with folks who ARE in crisis!

Giving to others helps us appreciate what we have. It helps us appreciate when folks help us. It helps us appreciate when God provides for our needs over and over. I have a story about the latter.

When I was 26 years old, I had cancer. God was with me through the entire experience of multiple surgeries and several cycles of chemothereapy. I was so poor that I lived with friends who took me in. I could have moved back home, but I would have been away from the doctors and hospital that were taking care of me. There were days that I would open my mail almost in tears. The first two or three envelopes would be bills that I didn't have the money to pay. The last envelope was often from a friend or relative that sent just enough money to pay the bills! God provided over and over again. One of the reasons I started this blog is that I started a journey back to the faith of my youth. A faith that said with all confidence "It is OK. It is JUST cancer. God has it under control". As I continue to face my eye issues, I am almost to the point again in my life when I can say "It is OK. It is just eye problems. God has it under control". Living life in a victorious manner means not backing down from anything that comes our way. The only way I can live victorious is to have the undefeated champ, God Alimight, fighting the battles for me.

Lord, I want everyone reading this post to feel your power and love. Please help them be open to your spirit and power.

iTunes Tuesday
Over the air: Did you know that you can now purchase stuff from iTunes without using your computer? You can purchase stuff using the iTunes app that works on the iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. The items you purchase sync back to your computer the next time you sync up. It is very cool. Those items are stored in a separate folder in iTunes so you find them easily. It works well.

Rentals: Did you know that you can rent movies and TV shows now in iTunes? You can rent in either regular resolution or HD. The TV rentals are good for 30 days. Once you start watching it, you have 48 hours to finish watching it. Many of the rentals are only 99 cents! For movies, you have 30 days to start watching and only 24 hours to finish watching once you start. Most movie rentals are $3.99, though there are some older movies available for only 99 cents. I think the $3.99 rate is too high, but I sort of frugal. ;-p

TV shows - entire seasons: You can also buy entire seasons of TV shows for less than what you would pay for the DVDs in the stores. It is very convenient.

Backups - Be sure to backup your iTunes purchases by clicking File > Library > Backup to disc option in iTunes. Select the backup option:
Backup library and playlists
Backup only iTunes store purchases
Or click only backup stuff that changed since the last backup (uses less disk space)

I usually backup everything regularly. It is easier to reload or move to another computer if I have it all backed up. I don't have to rip all those CDs again!

New MacBooks: There are rumors of new Apple laptops coming out soon. We will see how that pans out. There is talk of a mini MacBook Air that will kill most of the netbook computers out there. I am looking forward to that if the rumors are true!

Other Stuff
Progress? Do I hear the sound of progress? Yes! Things are moving along with my projects at work. That is a good thing. I am doing my best to be steady and not let stressful situatins bother me at work. PLease keep my in our prayers about that. I can't keep saying "I will be upbeat and steady" at the end of my blog each day if I don't plan to live it! That is just the way I roll! hehehe

I mowed my lawn last night and did some things around the house. The kitchen is clean again after my weekend cooking extravaganza. I made my Halloween appetizers and a veggie casserole for my church dinner group. The veggie casserole turned out great. I will keep that recipe handy! I will post it on a Foodie Friday. ;-p

I worked on laundry as well. It is under control now. Whew!

I worked hard so I could make time to have my quiet prayer meditation time. I am making an effort to make time for this every day. Cool story: I had my meditation time in the sanctuary at church Sunday morning before early church. There wasn't anyone around when I sat down in the sanctuary and looked up at the stained glass. I always notice something new in those windows! Suddenly, I heard the organist start practicing one of his specials for the 11:00 service -- Be Thou my Vision. This hymn has an entirely new meaning to me since having my eye issues the past 27 months. A new meaning, indeed. I wept for a few moments as I felt God's presence through this hymn. My prayer is that you can take time for talking to God and LISTENING to God.

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That IS what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment